VIII. Tegen

Before the Selfish Wars, Euralion was an enormous metropolis, filled with technological advances and countless wonders. Now, the city was little more than overgrown ruins. The tales of that city were great; treasure hunters braved the ruins for gold and secrets rumored to still be hidden. Tegen cared not for the wealth of the city; he longed to learn of its history.

The other five never glanced at the ruins, just like every passerby. Like his tribesmen, they cared not for knowledge—the wisdom of the past. The Elementals had their eyes ahead; Tegen had his behind. Ethea needed freedom from Fangril, but he did not come solely out of duty, instead, for the knowledge he would gain from traveling the world.

He just knew those secrets held knowledge. Maybe he should convince the young Sun and Moon to stop for a breather so he could—

A woman's scream pierced the air. Surprise froze them for a second until they sprinted up the hill to where the cry reverberated from. As a Kemiji, fighting was in his blood; so with his club ready, Tegen quickly took in the scene before them.

A mother held her little girl close, even though a young man with a guitar strapped to his back stood protectively in front of them. What held their attention was a blonde woman fighting Fangril's demons hovering around her. Before they could run into the fray with her, she killed two demons in a swift twirling of her two long swords, threw one to kill another, then twirled her last sword, pulling the out-of-reach demon toward her like an invisible rope yanked on the enemy. In a single slash, she sliced the demon into an explosion of black smoke.

The group stopped advancing as the woman headed to retrieve her thrown sword. Tegen stored his club on his back, glad he did not have to fight. When a fight proved necessary, he had no problem acting, but he would avoid one if possible. This thin woman had done the job for him, but he now admired her for how she had dispatched the demons so effortlessly and fluid... like the air moved her.

He looked down at Zelenia. That was why she had enlightenment on her youthful face—they had found Air.

"Thank you so much! Thank you! Thank you!" The exclamation brought Tegen's eyes back to see the mother hurry up to the blonde woman. She started to throw her arms around her savior, but the heroine raised a hand to stop her.

"You're welcome," the blonde woman said. Her voice flowed clear and soft, like a gentle breeze.

"How can I repay you? I'm sure I have something..." She began to search through her skirts.

The blonde woman shook her head. "No, we don't ask for anything in return."

The young man grabbed the mother's hands to make her stop her search. "Please. Stop."

The mother shook her head in disbelief. "I can't thank you enough for saving us."

"Once is enough," the young man grinned.

"I haven't thanked you yet," the little girl began. A wide grin spread out across her face. "THANK YOU!"

All three laughed in response; Tegen shared their mirth, and some of the group had smiles on their faces, too. "You're welcome too," the blonde woman replied.

"We best get going then, before more show up." The mother picked up her daughter again, and with the little girl waving, headed down the road to Glyson.

The young man turned to say something to the blonde woman when he caught sight of the six people standing just a few feet away. He nudged the woman; she turned, but his eyes never left them—he was just as protective as he was with the mother and daughter. Perhaps more with suspicion.

When the heroine faced them fully, her beauty astounded Tegen—stunningly beautiful with blonde hair, sharp, blemish-free features, and mesmerizing, silver eyes. Even though a human, Tegen could admit she was attractive. The young man with her was not near as striking, and bald. She stood taller than he, but no resemblances hinted at bloodlines.

Both wore attire similar to living in a city, but were sturdy enough for travel. The only standout feature on the young man—just past his teenage years—was the guitar strapped to his back. She wore a long dress the colors of light blue and white; the bodice mimicked a corset with black crisscrossing strings. The bottom was cut into long strips, allowing free movement and revealing dark leggings and brown knee-high boots. A dark-leathery wrap covered her left thigh—her entire left arm was hidden in the same material, and a black glove hid the hand. She only had a brown arm brace on her right arm.

The long, thin swords remained in her hands as she looked them over. "Can we help you?" Her clear voice rang with a bite of harshness.

Tegen's interest in her grew with wariness. Her choice of clothing—almost covered—along with her hostility meant she hid something. Intriguing.

Zelenia stepped forward to answer. "We heard a scream and came to help, but you had it handled."

"Great swordsmanship, by the way," Renuo added in.

She seemed to relax some. "Thank you."

"There is something else, though." Helian stepped forward to be seen. Tegen noticed the quick, irritated look Zelenia gave the Sun. Helian's confident bubble seemed to deflate; he looked back to find the woman's piercing silver eyes glaring at him.

"And what is that?" the young man asked.

Her silver eyes pinning Helian down looked to make him nervous. Did the hothead Sun find his match? He heard Geryon chuckle softly—Fire must have thought it humorous, too. "Umm... that—that there's something more to you."

Surprise flickered in her eyes. Tegen doubted he saw it, but the young man was slower to hide his reaction. Anger and suspicion replaced hers.

"What?" she asked quickly.

Zelenia put a hand on Helian's arm in a sign that she would take over. "You're an Elemental."

The anger faded and wonder took its place. "I'm sorry, I'm a what?"

"An Elemental—the element Air, to be exact."

The woman blinked in disbelief, but Tegen saw the machines churning in her head.

"How do you know that I am Air?" she challenged.

"Since Air is associated with me, I can see a beautifully white aura swirling around you. White is the color of Air, and it lets me know that you're calm, always roaming, prefer to be invisible in your works, but can also be fierce and persistent. You wouldn't be able to summon the power of air if you didn't have an affinity for it, either."

Everything Zelenia said looked to sway the woman, for her eyes kept alighting, like pieces were falling into place as things started to make sense. The young man watched her, realization dawning on him too as he put two-and-two together.

"If that's true, it would explain so much," she whispered.

Zelenia took a deep breath. "Your fault shall make you complete."

That struck a nerve; her eyes shot up in surprise, and she stared long and hard at Zelenia. It had the same effect on the young man as well. Whatever her fault, they both knew it. Her clear eyes turned cloudy with deliberations.

The woman glanced at the young man.

"What do you think?" he asked.

She looked at him just as long as she did with the Moon. If he had not seen her physically fight, Tegen would have said she would not join them—she was much too pretty.

After what looked like them both coming to some unspoken agreement, she turned back. "I will join you only if Heela can accompany me."

Zelenia nodded. "It will be a pleasure for him to come."

She looked at each one of them as if she looked for something. "My name is Aeris."