Introduction

Sitting in the quiet room, the clocks steady ticking dominated the silence and the occupant of the room started to reflect on her life. Tasha Smith was an average person. Her hair was a cropped mouse brown and her skin was a peachy cream, she was not skinny nor fat, her eyes didn’t sparkle, but neither were the lifeless Her life wasn’t anything extravagant either.  She had a job at a small bakery that paid for her small apartment.  The only thing that separated her from others was her secret, but that secret was the one she would take to her grave. In one way it was amazing, but in just the same way it was terrifying with all the possibilities.

Her power would often be uncontrollable and unreliable than it was useful. Tasha could disappear suddenly, and reappear just as quickly. This gift had revealed itself only after she turned thirteen and that was quite a few years ago. When it happened she was at her birthday party, she opened her present to find a small book of fairytales and after her party, she went upstairs to retreat into the familiar stories and when she opened the book she fell into the story, quite literally.

Once when she was little she discovered her talent, in this dream like state Tasha lost concept of time. For example, when she eventually returned to the real world she came downstairs only to find out she had been missing for two weeks.  After that, she endured the next few trips under the belief she was making everything up, but time proved otherwise. Tasha hated it at times, but at other times it was an more than what she could want because her lust for knowledge and thirst for excitement.

Today is the day she resents her power and doesn’t wish for it to interfere with what she is doing. Today she has several textbooks she need to study for her class with several heavy textbooks. Her class, Myths and Legends of the Ancient World: A Greater Understanding, had heavy reading and she hadn’t had any problems before with this class, but still didn’t want to end up in some horror filled reality consisting of some dark fairytale. However, she didn’t think she’d have to worry, this unit centered around Greek mythology, and in all honesty, it was one of Tasha's favorite sections.

     Tasha dropped her bag and plucked the burdensome books that were spilling out of her bag off the ground and out of the bag. Most of them for class, but there were some she had picked up from the library that were purely for fun, but all had followed the Greek theme of her class. She smiled to herself as she briefly thumbed through them, but becoming distracted caused her to trip over the lip of a rug, dropping her books and spreading the hard covers all over the floor, disappearing as she was sucked into one of the books.