Chapter One: Are you by chance related to Cruella De-Vil?

December 19th 2004

Yips and whines surrounded me as a body tumbled into me. I let out a working growl, and pounced on my brother, my tiny sharp teeth tugging at his ear. He yelped, trying to push me away from him. I shook my head, tiny growls coming up my throat. He rolled into his belly, showing defeat. I released him with triumph, and swaggered around the pen. My three other sisters rolled their eyes, continuing their tug of war. I wagged my tail, and padded across the pen and lapped up the wafer from the bowl. One of the newer workers showed up, and peered down at us.

"Aw look at you all" she cooed. We ran up to the gate, and she scratched and rubbed our heads. "Hello Belle" she said to my sister. "Eve, Holly" she continued, and then stroked my brother's fur "Rocky" and then me, her hands lingered in my fur, and my tail thumped rapidly. "And I can't forget you Angel." She says. A woman walks up to her, and tolls her eyes.

"Jane you shouldn't name them. Its not like we're keeping them" she says. Jane nods

"I know, but I can't help it. I do it to all the dogs" she admits. Her hand slides away from us, and her and the older woman leave.  Our mother, who lay in the corner, was surveying us. A nervous tinge wafted from her. What was there to be nervous about? We had each other, and food and water, plus the people who walk by the front of our cage every now and then. It was perfect.

Or so I thought.

Nearing closing hours, when the lights would turn off and we would have to run to the comfort of our mother and sleep, one of the humans dressed in pale green walked  to the front of our pen, with another woman, dressed in a black shirt and shorts. She made my uneasy, and I stepped back until I reached the back wall. My siblings all rushed up to the gate, creating the newcomers. Even my mother thumped her tail. I tried hide behind the food bowl. The worker smiled at the weird woman.

"German Shepherds. All 5 months of age. That's what you wanted right?" He asks. The weird woman nodded.

"Yes that is correct" she says. It sent a shiver down my spine. Something was horribly wrong.

"Which one would you like Ms. Villa?" The worker asked.

"All of them" Ms. Villa answers. The worker looked at her in shock.

"You want, 5 German Shepherd puppies?" He asks.

"Yes."

"Okay, if you say so" The worker signs something on his clipboard. He walks put of frame, leaving us with Ms. Villa staring at us. She gave us a cruel smile, that I guess was meant to be a warm one.

"You'll do just nicely" she says, almost to herself. The worker comes back with another, each carrying a plastic crate. My eyes widened. I've seen dogs go in those, and they never come back. I whimper, and duck behind my mother, peaking out through her chest fur. She let out a small growl, her eyes trained on the workers and Ms. Villa. My brothers and and sisters still didn't see the issue, and she. The workers entered the pen, they rushed to them. One by one my siblings were plucked up, and put in the crates, and stacked outside the pen. All but one crate remained. The worker looked around.

"Where are you sweetheart? Come on! You're going to a nice new home!"

'No I'm not!' I whine, burying myself more into my mother, trying to disappear. Her fear scent was stronger now, and she growled at the workers, baring her teeth. They stepped back, startled by mother's actions. She was normally docile, and sweet. One of the workers sighed, and ducked out of the pen, and grabbed a long pole, with some weird loop on the end. My mother's growls increased, a snarl ripped through the air as they approached. She pressed me against the back of the wall, putting herself between me, and the workers. They looped the pole around her neck, and it tightened. She struggled, shaking her body and tried to back out of the loop. She snarled and snapped, growled and howled. She was held up, and exposed my hiding place. The worker grabbed me, and I cried out, squirming and yelping in terror.