Chapter Three: Where did you go?

I stood in Dean's lap, my head stuck out the window, feeling the breeze as it ruffled my fur. Dean's mood seemed to get sadder as the minutes ticked on. I wasn't sure why, and I tried to cheer him up, like he did for me last night. I nibbled his fingers, licked his face, pawed at his hand. He reacted with a smile, and rubbed my back, but it didn't make the sadness go away. What was I doing wrong? Dad pulled into a parking lot of a small white building. Dean gets out of the car, cradling me to his chest. I stare up at him, but he stared ahead. Dad got out of the car too, and they walked inside.

It looked similar to the place I stayed before. I could smell, and hear dogs. They barked from a pair of doors, and someone dressed in all white pushed through them. Dean walked up to the front desk. A woman with blonde hair and plenty of freckles dotting her face, looked up. Upon seeing me, she let out a 'awwww' and smiled at Dean, who grinned right back.

"Who's this?" She asks him. He looks down at me.

"Don't know, my dad and I found her" he says.

"Where?"

"A few roads back" Dad cuts in. "We figured to bring her in here" he says. The woman nods.

"So you're just dropping her off then?" She asks.

"Yes" Dad says, giving Dean a look.

"Okay, I just need one of you to put you're name down, and I'll take her. " she says. I stare at Dean as he hesitantly hands me over to the new woman. Why? I whined, and figetted. I wanted to be held by Dean! Her hands were cold, his were warm and protective. She pressed me to her chest, while Dad sighs, and picks up the clipboard, grumbling and sits down in a chair. I stare at Dean, an he finally glances down to meet my eyes.

'Dean? Where am I going? Dean? I wanna stay with you Dean! I cry out, trying to get to Dean. Dean leaned over, and rubbed my ears. The woman pets my side. Dean looks at her hard.

"Will she be adopted out?" He asks her.

"Oh sure honey. A cutie like her? And so close to Christmas? Definitely" she says brightly. I felt cold, no longer safe. I was safe when I was with Dean. But the woman wouldn't let go of me. I whined and struggled ,but she kept a good grip.

"Bye Angel" I heard Dean whisper, before he joined Dad. Bye? Why was he saying bye? I wanna go with him!

The woman handed me to a nervous boy, with tousled red hair. He held me away from him, as if unsure.

"Where do I put her?" He asks. The woman sits back at her desk, and types at the computer.

"In one of the available cages Leonard" she says. I wiggled, and peered over the boys shoulder as he walked towards the double doors. I stared at Dean with sadness and betrayal. Why would he leave me? I must of did something bad.

Leonard was jumpy, and it was obvious he wasn't used to holding dogs. I squirmed, wanting to get to Dean. Maybe he would give me another chance! Then I could stay with him! I whined and growled, and Leonard, apparently spooked, dropped me.

"Oh darn!" He groaned, and I ran towards the double doors. "Come back! I need this internship! Come back!" He yells and chases after me. I ran down the slick floor, trying to get to the double doors. Where were they? I ducked behind a cart, and around a corner, Leonard still yelling and chasing. I lifted my nose in the air, and gave a large sniff. I could smell deans shirt, and the breakfast be had this morning. And weird stuff he out in his mouth before hand. I turned out. I was going to wrong way!