Chapter Ten: The Burger Bandit

The morgue was left even colder than the outside weather, which was saying something. My claws clicked softly on the linoleum as Dean and I were led down a maze of halls towards where the bodies were kept. The coroner grasped the autopsy reports, and handed then over when we stopped in front of the storage units. The coroner listed off the details off the death

"All blonde, in their 20's, and completely drained of blood" he says, pulling open one of the drawers and a pale blonde girl lay still on the table. I leaned over and sniffed, the same rotten wood smell cloaked her.

"And was there anything strange about the bodies?" Dean asked, and the coroner gave him a weird look

"Besides the fact that they didn't have a drop of blood in their system? Or that their necks looked like they were mauled by a tiger? No nothing out of the ordinary" The coroner said, and handed Dean the autopsies. "There was traces of Chloroform, and some fibers of what appeared to be wood under their fingernails, except for the newest one, no wood" He says. Dean flipped through the reports while I went through the other bodies, and smelled them. They all had the smell of rotted wood. I turn back to Dean, and let out a bark. He glanced at me, and nodded. He closed the file, and tucked it under his arm.

"Thank you for your time" he tells the coroner, who nods. Dean and I left the morgue, and clambered into the impala. He started the engine, putting the file between us. The sun began to set, hanging low in the sky, casting shadows on the car. I stared at Dean as we pulled away from the building to find a motel for the night. "I don't know about you girl, but I'm tired." He says, eyes trained on the road. I licked my muzzle, cocking my head. "Coffee just isn't doing it." He says. I nudge is arm, and he smiles. "I'm fine, just need to grab a couple more hours of sleep" he says.

*******

Dean checked into the motel, thanking the employee as we walked down the rows of rooms. The smell of mildew and dust made me sneeze, and Dean glances down at me, but said nothing. He unlocked the room door, and allowed me in first, and I looked around. The room was smaller than the ones Dad would get, which would be conjoined at times. This to only had a bed, TV stand, and a door that presumably lead to the bathroom. Dean dropped his duffel bag on the bed, and I leapt up on the lumpy, blanket covered bed. Dean dug through his bag, pulling out an assortment of clothes. He glanced up, seeing that I was watching him, and smiled. He tapped my muzzle, making me snort. He laughed, and walked into the bathroom. I curled up on the left side pillow, listening to the sounds of the shower, dozing off a bit. Flashes of Ms.Villa plastered my eyelids.

Her laugh, cold and cruel. Her finger-like claws slashing through the air. Dean and Dad, lying on the ground, covered in blood, and unmoving. I could do nothing, just bark and bark, struggling to get to Dean, why couldn't I get to him?

Something tugged at my throat, holding me back, the harder I pulled the more I had to gasp for air.