«15»

Jack face palmed as hard as possible, ignoring Louis's truthfully shocked question.

"You live by yourself! I didn't know that! Is that why Jack goes to your place so much? Why do you live alone? You have a dog? How do you afford the place? Why are you by yourself? You can hardly keep up with yourself at school!"

Jack opened his mouth to answer, but the old lady up front quickly hushed them. Jack immediately went back to doing his history work, but listened to Mark explaining himself despite a few glances he got from other students.

"I do live by myself. Ever since I left my old place. Hasn't been the same without my parents. My grandparents weren't very happy with how I 'turned out.' They didn't like that I was bisexual, that I missed a lot of school, and I was a lot slower in learning than my brother. Said I had the potential but I just ran around and avoided work so much that other parents and kids thought I was dumb. That's their opinion though. Fuck that."

Louis blinked as if the information was bazar. She then nodded. "Oh. What... What happened to your parents, then?"

Mark made an uncomfortable noise, beginning to twist the black jewel in his nose. "They—uhm—wrecked a truck. My dad was a little drunk and when he ran a red light... Hit the side of a semi truck. Just so happen I only got a broken arm. I didn't really understand at the time and when they wouldn't let me see my parents..." Mark leaned back in his seat, expression completely void. "...I changed that day, really."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have—"

"No. It's fine. Better you know than think my family was a bunch of no counts or something."

"You two keep talking, or you'll stay for detention after school!" Mark and Louis snapped their attention to the front, Mark shrugging carelessly. Louis shut up and went back to work.

"You never said you was with them when it happened."

Mark turned to look at Jack. Jack never took his focus out of his book, a finger following his eyes as they quickly scanned the words, his other hand writing as he went. "What?"

Jack raised a brow, but didn't look at him. "I said, you never mentioned being in the wreck with them."

"Well, I was. I just didn't get into detail with you last time."

Jack put his pencil down. "Why? Because you thought you couldn't trust me enough? You can tell her but don't want to tell me six-year-old-Mark was in a car crash?" He intently and curiously stared at Mark, Mark sighing at his overreacting.

"That's not the case, Jack, and you know that. I just never thought it was important."

"Yes it is!" Jack squeaked, "It's something I should've known."

"You're being absurd. You know more about me than Louis will ever know."

Jack sniffed, rubbing his running nose. "Knowing what you're into is a very different subject all on its own Mark!"

"Boys, detention! See you after school."

Jack sniffled at Mark as the bell rung, grabbing his things and stomping off. Mark sighed, shaking his head and slamming his book shut. Louis nudged him with a giggle, "Looks like you two'll be having a talk about your lying and trust issues in detention," she whispered to him in a song song voice, walking off and giggling.

Mark snorted when the girl from earlier, Paige, stopped beside him (considering she sat in the darker corner of the room), smirking and giggling as well. "Someone's in the dog house now," she cheekily smiled, then proceeded out the door. 

Mark scowled, growling at both girls' comments as he followed way behind.

"He's just upset I forgot a detail I'd rather not talk about. He's not actually mad."