Chapter One

Jack wandered the streets, sending frost every which way. He looked up at the sky and smiled as he saw lines of gold dust flowing through the air.

"On time as always, Sandy." He continued down the alleyway, with one place in mind. Finally he arrived. It was a dark and dingy place, with dirty streets and dark corners, but to him it was beautiful. He smiled as he approached, and sat down.

"How ya doing, Elsa?" he asked the air, his voice ringing through the heavy night. He took a deep breath. He looked down at the concrete ground, trying to recall his memories of the dew covered grass and the feel of the cold stone of Elsa's grave beneath his palms. He missed being able to see it. He barely remembered what it said.

"Things are going well. Jaime is growing up and so are his friends, but I don't think he'll stop believing any time soon. It's been easy going. Things have calmed down. Being a guardian is a big responsibility, but its one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Besides you, of course. You will always be the best thing that has ever happened." He looked down at his hands and laced them together, closing his eyes. He missed Elsa's hands in his. It had been so long ago, it felt more like a story or fable to him. He had started coming back to her grave sight more often, afraid that if he didn't he'd start to lose touch of his memories of her. "I still miss you so much, Elsa. I wish you were here."

A dark laugh echoed through the shadows. Jack turned his head from side to side, scanning his surroundings, but he didn't see anyone. After a while he began to think it was just his imagination, when it came again. It sent chills down Jack's spine. It was something familiar about it... something about it he recognised...

"Who's there?" he demanded. No answer. He sat in the silence for a few moments. Nothing came. His breathing began to regulate again when he began to hear footsteps. His body tensed.

"Who's... who's there?" he asked, this time with a slight hesitation. He slowly stood back up, gripping the staff tight in his hands. The footprints edged closer. Jack turned his head from side to side, trying to catch sight of the approacher through the shadows. Two large figures appeared behind him. He quickly turned and faced the two large, furry creatures. Jack sighed.

"Yetis," he addressed them. They threw the snow globe and beckoned him through the portal with them. He jumped after them, the alley behind him blurring out of view. The North Pole came into sight. The yetis took Jack to the main room where North, Tooth, Sandy, and Bunny all stood.

"Ah, Jack!" North bellowed as he watched Jack enter. "We've been waiting for you!"

"What's this all about?" Jack questioned.

"Man in Moon has chosen new guardian!" North exclaimed. Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Really? Who?" North scratched the back of his head with uncertainty.

"Well... That's the problem, Jack. We're not sure who she is," Tooth explained. Jack looked around the room in confusion.

"That's where you come in, mate. We were hoping you'd recognize her, because none of us do," Bunny said.

"Well, what does she look like?"

"Blond hair, in some sort of braid thing," North began to describe. "Her eyes were blue, her dress was blue. There were snowflakes all around. Does any of this sound familiar to you, Jack?" They turned to Jack. He stood, staring into nothingness, shock clearly painted on his pale features.

"Jack?" Tooth asked. As soon as North had began to describe her Jack had known who it was. He just didn't believe it. It wasn't possible... was it? She was dead... long dead. He had watched her die all those years ago out on the fjord. He had watched Kristoff and Anna die, their kids die, and their kids' kids die. He had watched as Arendelle became no more. It just wasn't possible. But who else could it be?

"Jack?" Tooth asked again.

"Elsa..." said Jack in an almost inaudible whisper. "Her name was Elsa."

"Great!" North voiced loudly.

"There's only one problem," Jack said quietly. "She's dead."