Chapter Five - The Date

Bailee wasn't exactly sure what to make of whatever was or was not going to come out of this date with Aaron. 

He'd gotten her a driver to take her all the way from NYC to Newport, which was a good thing. That way, she wouldn't have to worry about driving and could, instead, focus on the worry that was eating her alive.

She went over the "rules" Aaron had set for the two of them countless times. So, he wanted to take this slow, which was good. Bailee didn't want to give her heart away to the first pretty boy who came along.

And boy, was he pretty.

But Bailee didn't want to be the type to be easily swayed by a pretty face. Whatever this could become, she didn't want to ruin the untapped potential by falling too fast.

When they finally got to Rhode Island, Aaron had set it up so that the two of them met by a little red and white lighthouse, over looking the ocean. Bailee felt like she was walking right into a postcard -- and there he was, smiling and holding a bouquet of red roses.

Talk about romantic, right?

"Hello gorgeous." He greeted, smiling at her.

Bailee couldn't help but blush. "Hi handsome."

"Are you excited?" Aaron was obviously excited and so, Bailee nodded. "Well, then, let's go!"

**

The pair of them were walking down Ocean Drives, taking in the beautiful scenery. The sound of the waves crashing on the rocks only added to the romantic air that surrounded them.

"So, tell me about you," Aaron said, taking Bailee's hand in his. "What does a pretty trainer like you do when she's alone?"

For some reason, that struck a little chord inside Bailee and her cheeks turned pink. No, he didn't mean it in that way but, well, her mind jumped back to what didn't happen between them in that bathroom.

Hobbies! Truth be told, Bailee knew she was kind of a nerd who enjoyed nothing more than being curled up in her apartment on a rainy night with a good book -- but she didn't want to tell Aaron that, out of fear of what he might say. So she had to make something up.

"Oh, well... I really like clothes and makeup. I think it's really cool how I can go to work and be one person, but then I can go out and look like someone else all because I did something different with my hair, you know?" She squinted up at him, trying not to look at the sun.

Aaron considered what she had said and nodded at her.

"I get what you mean, yeah. What else do you like?" He asked.

She shrugged. "Uh, not much?"

"I know there's more to you than fashion and makeup."

He had a knowing glint in his eyes.

Bailee had to swallow the truth to keep it from coming out of her. If she seemed superficial, that's what all this would stay: superficial. Superficiality meant that no one got hurt and, since she was usually the one who got hurt the most, she knew that would help her in the end.

But for now, it was hard, because she wanted to trust Aaron, but she remembered that Aaron was a man and they were all the same. They only cared about themselves.

It was all becoming too much, too quickly for Bailee. Her breathing became a little shallow and she was sure she was spinning. Needing some sort of escape, she murmured some half-assed excuse to Aaron and bolted down the boardwalk, leaving him calling for her to come back.

She knew that she had to be the one to leave the boys wanting more. She needed the upper hand to keep herself from getting hurt; she didn't want to fool around with boys any longer.

The only problem with that being the fact that Aaron wasn't a boy. He was a man.

He ran after her.