Chapter 10 - romeo and juliet

Newts pov

I walked through the hallways along side with Sophie. Just then we came across pepper  and Sawyer kissing by a locker, but peppers attention faded from Sawyer when she as us. She broke apart from him and ran to Sophie. "Ok I noticed that big shiny jewl on your finger from a mile away, where did you get it!" Pepper said examining Sophie's hand. "It's a promise ring, newt gave it to me" Sophie said smiling. "Really?" Pepper said turning her head to me. "That's right, I put a ring on that finger!" I said proudly. Sophie burst out laughing. "What are you laughing at?" I asked defensively. "You" she said smiling at me. I frowned. "Awe it's ok I still love you" she said giving me a kiss on the cheek. "That's good enough for me" I said smiling. "Sophie I need to talk to you" pepper said pulling her to the side. Sawyer, (who had been listening to our conversation a little to the side walked up to me. "Where can I get one of these promise rings" Sawyer asked me in a whisper. "Why do you want one?" I asked suspiciously. "I was thinking of getting one for pepper" he said smiling. "That's great I'm so proud of you guys!" I said cheerfully. "You can just buy any ring and make it a promise ring" I added. "That's great, thanks newt" said Sawyer patting me on the shoulder. "But just to warn you, the nice ones are pretty expensive" I said. "Well then how did you afford it?" Sawyer asked curiously. "My dads rich, and it's not like a thousand dollars or anything" I said laughing. "Wait so what did you say you were spending the money on?" Sawyer asked. "A ring for my girlfriend. What else?" I asked. "Wait so your dad knows about you and Sophie, you told him?!" Sawyer asked in shock.  "Well yeah, why would I hide the love of my life from my dad?" I asked curiously. "Wasn't he mad?" Sawyer asked confused. "Not when I told him I was serious about Sophie" I replied. "Huh..." Sawyer said. "Wait you haven't told your parents about pepper?" I said shocked. Sawyer sheepishly nodded his head. "They wouldn't approve" he admitted. "Never know until you ask" I pointed out. "YOUR A GENIUS!" I turned around to see Sophie and pepper cheering  about something. Me and Sawyer ran over to see what was happening. "What are we so happy about? I asked curiously "Ok time to get you on board" Pepper said turning to me. "what's up?" I asked. "The school is doing a play this year, Romeo and Juliet, and I think you two should try out for the lead, Sophie's really exited about it! pepper said. "Romeo and Juliet!? I can't do tha- uhhh  I mean Yes! I love plays...." I said trying to seem enthusiastic. "No., you don't want to. it's alright we don't have to sign up if your not comfortable." She said politely. "No that's not fair to you, you should try out for Juliet, ill support you from the audience" I  said supportively. "No it's ok i don't really want to be in the play anyways" Sophie said lying. But I saw right through her" "Yes you do, just try out, don't miss this opportunity because of me" I said smiling. She sighed. "Are you sure you'll be fine, it is a romantic play" she pointed out. "It's just a play, I know you love me" I said. "Thanks newt  your the best" She said hugging me. "I know" I replied smiling. Then She took a pen out of her pocket and put her name under the tryouts list.
After Sophie and pepper had left, Sawyer approached me. "Hey Newt, Sophie liked the ring you picked out for her right?" He asked. I grinned. "I sure hope so." "So you know what other girls like right?" He asked. "Watch ya getting at Sawyer?" I said laughing awkwardly. "I want to get pepper a promise ring like you got Sophie, but I don't know what kind of ring pepper would like, could you help me pick one out?" He asked. "Of course!" I said agreeing wilfully.
- 4 hours later -
After school was done I exited the building to see Sawyer there waiting for me. "Hey newt, ready to go?" He asked. "Yeah I'm ready, who's driving?" I asked. "My mom." He replied. "And what does she think we're doing at the mall?" I asked knowing he hadn't told her we were going to a jewelry shop. "Shoe shopping for football" he said. "Good one" I complemented him. "But I still think you should tell them about you and pepper" I added. "Ok I'll make you a deal, if pepper says yes then I'll tell them" Sawyer said. "Deal!" I accepted. "Now lets go get her a ring that will make her want to say yes" I said determinedly. In half an hour we were at a ring store. "Ah sugar beets!" I heard Sawyer exclaim in frustration as we looked at the prices. "This is just over my allowance!" "Sawyer I could chip in if you need" I told him. "No it's alright you already had to buy one of theses stupid rings" he said looking around to see if any others were cheaper. "It's really alright Sawyer, I can put some money in" I insisted. "No it's alright I should do this myself" he said not taking his eyes of the rings. "Do you think pepper would appreciate a promise-saddle instead?" He asked. "Not in less you want to be single and alone" I responded. Sawyer turned around and gave me a bad look. "Uhh I mean who said that....???"
-the next day-
Sophie's pov
I ran up to newt as quickly as my feet could possibly let me, "newt! They posted the parts everyone got for the play today, you have to come check with me" I said tapping him on the shoulder eagerly. " he laughed. "Ok I'm coming" he said. I jumped up in excitement, then dragged him by the arm to where the results where posted. We stood together where a price of paper with the parts was pinned to a wall. "Well?" Newt asked. "I'm afraid to look" I said. He smiled as he reached over and. Lifted the page, scanning the paper with his brilliant blue eyes looking for my part. He smiled again. "You got it!" He said turning to me. "Really? I'm Juliet?" I asked in excitement. Newt nodded. I reached out and hugged him, "thanks for letting me try out"  "it's not like you need my permission" he smiled. "I know, but it's just nice that you support me" I smiled back. "Can you check who my understudy is?" I asked him. "Sure" he said flipping the the pages. "Why do you want to know" he asked " because whoever it is, I'll be spending some time with her because we have to learn the same part, so if I get sick or something she can take my part" he nodded. "It's Ashley" he said frowning. He knew I didn't like her because I complain about her all the time. I liked complaining with newt because he didn't tell me to try and accept her, instead he just comforted me. "Damn it, now I have to spend a bunch of time with her!" I complained. But newt was distracted, he was looking at the paper, frowning and muttering something under his breath. "Newt, what's wrong?" I asked pulling him away from the sheet. "Nothing... what were you saying?" He asked. "I'm just upset I have to spend time with Ashley." I recited. "If she annoys you don't worry about it, it would just be because she's jealous that you got the part" he said putting is arm around me. I smiled. He always knew what to say.