Chapter 1: Newbie

Ariana's POV

After I was caught up on the dancing I missed for being late, John and I joined the group for the rest of rehearsal. We'd just finished up the rehearsal and I was walking out of the door when another one of the dancers caught up to me.

"Hey wait!" She called out running towards me at the door. "Ariana, right? I'm Cassadee. Why are you in such a hurry? We usually go eat after rehearsal, why don't you come?"

"Um, I'm sorry but I can't. My ride is probably waiting for me, I have to go. Maybe next time?" I asked trying to make a reasonable excuse for why I couldn't go.

"Oh come on, you have to." She pushed. "I'll give you a ride home afterwards if that's the issue. You're a newbie, and we have to get to know you sometime, and--"

"Cassie!" Justin called from across the way before coming and standing with us. "What are you doing? Let's go."

"I was just inviting Ariana to come with."

"Ariana, huh? Well are you coming or not?" Justin asked looking at me.

"I don't think so. I have a lot to do and--"

"Okay, whatever." He said not allowing me to finish. "Come on Cassie, she's not coming. Let's go." He pulled Cassie and walked away. She gave me an apologizing look before joining Justin and the others and leaving the studio.

When I exited myself, as soon as I stepped out if the building I saw Jacob leaning on his parked car right in front of the sidewalk. "What took so long?" He asked as I approached him.

"Um, this guy asked me to go with them out to eat. Do you mind if I go?"

"A guy?"

"Yeah," I started nervously twirling my hair. "He's one of the dancers and they're all going out, and--"

"Look here, bitch," He interrupted me grabbing my arm in the exact place he did earlier today. "You don't go anywhere without me. And why are there guys asking you out? Tell them to keep to themselves or I'll beat their asses."

"Jacob it's not that serious, calm down."

"Don't tell me what to do." He gripped my arm even tighter, bringing a similar feeling of pain from earlier today. "Now get in the car." He let go of my arm and walked to the driver's side of the car.

I took a deep breath and looked around having the feeling someone was watching. My eyes fell on Justin who was standing across the street waiting for his turn to step into the van after all the other dancers. He just stared blankly, not even trying to act like he wasn't watching.

"What are you waiting for?!" I heard Jacob yell. "Get in."

Justin looked at Jacob through the window of the car then back at me. I took another breath before getting into the car with Jacob.

"You need to learn how to listen to me, and I'm going to be the one to teach you." He said before pulling off. As he continued blabbing angrily, I gazed out of the window slipping out of reality and into a better world.

~*~

Justin's POV

After walking away from that Ariana chick, Cassadee and I joined the other dancers and left the studio.

"So where are we going?" I asked the group as everyone began piling into my black Suburban.

"How about In-N-Out?" One of my dancers Nickali, Cassadee's twin brother, suggested. Everyone agreed and we all filled the van.

As I was waiting for everyone else to get in, I heard some stern undistinct mumbling from across the street. I turned and saw the newbie Ariana standing in front of a car with some guy. He was leaning against the car when she approached him, then suddenly got angry, gripping her arm tightly as she winced in pain. He stood there obviously threatening her for a few seconds, then let go. She looked around and our eyes met-- I didn't try acting like I didn't see what just happened to her. The guy yelled something to her again, and she broke our gaze entering the car before they pulled off and sped down the street.