10. I don't even know

Bang-Bang-Bang.

I sat up in the bed, looking around the room with my eyes batting back and forth from the door to the window, afraid that a bullet would come flying through, killing me in a heartbeat. I've been here in Red for a good week and a half, and it's been going by smoothly and slowly – surely no gun fights between gangs, no shoot-outs. Just a few outgoings with Randy. Other than that smooth sailing.

But this was trouble.

Bang-bang-bang.

The gunshots happened again, and I scrambled up, throwing on the dress I was wearing last night – shoes, and fixing my hair quickly before rushing out the door, down the stairs, outside. Surely, there they were. The two gangs on the street. I recognized that midnight black horse anyday.

Zachary Bagans.

I wasn't sure what to think – sure I knew that he was to come check up on me, but I wasn't sure that it would be this early, and I had no information to give him, and sure I didn't want to make him angry. Thank god no body has been shot, Zachary had his colt pistol in the air, shooting off into the sky. His eyes rolled around, until he got a good look at me. He let off a smooth smile, and waved his hand over at the boys. They walked over to me, and grabbed my arms, dragging me off and put me on Zachary's horse. I put up a fight, a quite big one actually, filled with screaming and punching (I'm pretty sure I smacked one of Zachary's men right in the face.) knowing that if I didn't anyone who saw would know something is up if I just let them take me no-questions, no-fights. Then the horse rode off.

-

He didn't take me far, off a few miles and into a small barn. A few candles were lite to light the place, but other than that it was dim. Things quieted down, the men poured some whiskey and Zachary and I went to talk. We sat down on some hay, over to the side of the large barn and Zachary looked at me, placing a hand on my knee, “How've you been?” He questioned.

“Fine,” I replied, “Pubs are really nice in Red, we should probably get some like that in Black Hill. You know, padded chairs, white whiskey, and they even have a band there every night. I th-”

“No.” Zachary said, interrupting me mid-sentence, “I mean how's it going.” I rose my eyebrows, confused for a moment, but then I nodded.

“Oh,” I replied, “That.” I bit my lip, feeling like I was doing the right thing but yet again feeling like I should keep my yap shut and no say anything to Zachary.

“Yeah.” He said.

“Well, other than planning a robbery around Baker this week, there really hasn't been anything going on. There's been some talk of trying to go after ya'll again – but they won't try it. Their too weak for that after their captain has been killed.” I jabbered, kicking my feet back and forth like a child.

“Their captain has been killed?” Zachary asked, astonished, leaning backwards and raising his eyebrows, “Perry Downing?”

“Yeah, that's him.” I replied, “I guess he died of suffocation or something. One of the hotel staff said he must've just dropped dead in his sleep or something. I don't remember much of that conversation, I tuned most of it out.”

“That's insane.” Zachary replied, “But it's better for us because they're weaker and we have an advantage.”

“I suppose.” I whispered. I didn't say anything for a moment, just looked over at two of Zachary's men having a few shots, laughing away. Then I looked back over at Zachary, my mind nowhere towards the business end of this occasion.

“What's wrong?” Zachary asked.

“Nothing.” I said.

“Really, now?” Zachary said, “We're going to play that game?”

“Well,” I replied, “I just don't like playing this game of spying. I'd rather be back at the house in your dungeon.”

“That place is for criminals.” Zachary replied, “You're not a criminal. I put you down there to scare you is all, I much would've rather kept you in one of the nicer rooms. But I can't let my bad reputation go down the drain can I?” Zachary let the end with a little chuckle, and sighed as he looked at me. I said nothing, looking away from him and tracing the walls of the barn with my eyes. “Belle?” Zachary whispered, putting his hand back on my knee.

“What's wrong?” I asked. “Why am I doing this?”

“Doing what?”

“Spying.”

“Because..” Zachary kept quiet for a moment, before replying, “What you need to realize is my father was a good man – I'm just doing what he would want me to do. He wants me to run Black Hill, be the man he tought me to be, and do a damn good job at it too. I can't let my father down.”

“But what if the ways your father tought you weren't the right way?” I asked, my voice raising slightly, “But what if all this, this lying, these murders, these robberies. What if they're the wrong way! What if all your daddy ever wanted was for something to be peaceful?”

“That doesn't sound like him, Belle. That wasn't him.” Zachary replied, “And I don't like that tone your having.”

“I don't have a tone. I'm just telling the truth.” I replied.

“Well the truth is about to get you killed.”

-

I wasn't sure what to right for this chapter, so yeah this happened at 2 am I hope it makes since because oops.