10. My Kinda Girl

Chapter __

Belle

I let out a sigh, pretending that the comment that Zachary had made about my “tone” getting me killed. I looked around the room. It was dimly lit, the rest of the gang standing around, having fun, having harmless laughter and drinking shots. “So, what's the plan?” I asked. “Am I going back to Red?”

“Not for a few days.” Zachary replied, “I want to piss Randy off.”

“And what will that accomplish?” I asked.

“Nothing.” Zachary said, “Nothing at all.”

“You're a bastard.” I hissed, crossing my arms.

“Don't have to tell me twice, honey.” Zachary smiled with a wink. Zachary then stood up, smoothed down his shirt and put his hat back on his head. “Lets go for a walk.” Zachary said.

“No I don't think I want to.” I replied.

“It wasn't an offer.” Zachary said, “It was a demand.” I rolled my eyes, and followed him out of the barn, the men not realizing that we even left.

Once we left the barn, the sun was softly setting on the soft grass. Zachary and I walked, and walked, without saying a word. But once we were a good amount of space from the barn, Zachary turned to me. “Want to learn how to shoot a gun?”

“What?” I asked, half laughing.

“Shoot a gun, like my pistol.” Zachary pulled out his pistol, the one that has killed so many people with a pull of a trigger. “I can teach you. So, if the time comes and you do have to – you know – defend yourself. You can. I don't want you to get hurt because I didn't teach you how to use a gun.” I puckered my lips.

“Okay, lets do it.” I said

Zachary led me out for a few more minutes until we were out in the open. “Okay,” Zachary said, “Here, take it.” Zachary pulled his pistol out from the holster, and handed it to me. I stared at it for a moment, realizing how many people it must have killed.

“You know, maybe I shouldn't learn.” I said, “I can always defend myself with a stick or a knife or something.” Zachary shook his head.

“There is no talking me out of this.” Zachary said.

“No I-”

“I don't want you to be the next person at the end of this gun.” Zachary commented. I sighed, taking ahold of the gun with shaking hands. “Alright, good. Now lift it up.” I lifted it, with shaking hands. “Stop shaking, here let me help you.” Zachary shrugged off his coat, throwing his hat on top of it. Leaving only a white button-up shirt, tucked into a pair of black trousers and a pair of dirty boots. Zachary stood behind me, a good foot taller than me, he put his arms around me, and put his hands on mine, showing me how to hold the gun.

He smelt like gunpowder and expensive perfume. He smelt like the blood of the man he killed. He smelled like Sunday Dinner. I found myself lost in the thought of his smell. “Belle?” Zak's voice asked, “Did you hear me?”

“I'm afraid not.” I stuttered.

“Pull the trigger.” Zachary commented.

“Pull that what?” I asked.

“The trigger. The thing your finger is touching. Just pull it.”

Just Pull It

“Zachary, I cannot.”

“You can.” Zachary whispered. I sucked in a breath, closed my eyes, and pulled the trigger.

CRACK.

BOOM.

BANG.

I first heard the gunpowder spark, then the bullet buzz off, and then it smacking into a tree. I opened my eyes, pulling the gun to my side.

And for the first time in a while, I was truly happy.

“I did it!” I shrieked, turning around to Zachary.

“I knew you could!” Zachary smiled, pulling me into a hug, picking me up, and twirling me around before sitting me on the ground. Zachary looked at me for a moment, not being able to say a thing. Just stared at me. “How would you feel if I Kissed you right now?” Zachary asked.

“I-”

I didn't have time to answer, because he broke my sentence with the crash of his lips against mine. Zachary pulled away after a few moments, and he looked at me, and I could see him bite the inside of his lip.

“How about another round?” I asked. Zachary rose his eyebrows.

“Another round of what, kissin' or shootin'?” Zachary teased. I laughed, pushing him away with my hand on his shoulder.

“How about both?” I asked. Zachary laughed.

“You're my kinda girl, June.” He winked, “My kinda girl, indeed.”

==

Holy shit guys I'm so sorry that this update took so long I don't have a good excuse other than I'm not productive i'm sorry ok.