Chapter 1: Scout's Honor

I moved with ease, landing each blow as quickly as the next. The girl I'd been paired up with was a black belt, but she was still no match for me. I twirled the wooden staff gracefully between my hands, moving it behind my back and around my waist simply as a means to show off more than distract her, because I did not really need any help.

The air around me whooshed as I swiftly pounded the staff against the ground, using it as a support to lift myself sideways and plant my feet on the wall as I ran across it and used the momentum to land a roundhouse kick to her stomach.

I didn't quite like the pained moan that escaped her lips when my kick made contact and she hit the ground, but it came with the territory. I wasn't going to become the best martial artist in my division without hearing a lot more of those.

The girl rolled over with her hands on her abdomen, shaking her head to signal defeat. The side of her face was starting to bruise where I had landed another kick earlier, despite her being noticeably taller than me, and beads of sweat gathered on her forehead, above her furrowed brow.

I peeled my eyes away from the suffering girl to face my master and bow respectfully.

I kept my eyes on the ground, fearing the answer would be the same as all other times, as I asked, "Have I passed the test this time, master?"

I heard a loud sigh from the old man as he said, "I'm afraid I cannot let you become a black belt yet, Katrina."

It was my turn to let out a frustrated sight, "And why is that?"

"You are filled with too much anger for a girl your age. I have told you before, Kung Fu is not a way for you to vent your rage. It is an art of self defense, and you are always on the offensive my dear child. Our purpose is not to hurt, but to protect."

"Protect what? I thought you said I had potential. I thought I could compete in world tournaments and get us some well deserved recognition, but all you care about is your philosophical babble."

The Sensei opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"No, I do not want to get in touch with my inner self or protect myself from anything Sensei, I want to be successful. Maybe I came to the wrong place. I'll find a mixed martial arts dojo. Now if you'll excuse me, I've wasted my time enough here already, I have a practice to get to."

Without letting him reply, I walked away from the martial arts center, letting the door close hard behind me.

All I wanted to focus on then was getting to my roller derby practice on time, since the coach wasn't very happy with the way I'd been skipping practice or arriving late lately.

I went home to pick up my skates and change, but when I walked into the living room it looked like I had walked into the family reunion I never found out about.

"Oh, Katrina, I'm so glad we caught you before practice," said my mother.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm looking for an apartment mom, I'll move out soon, I promise," I uttered quickly, trying to avoid facing my family members.

"It's not about that, honey, your father and I have spoken about this, and we want you to stay here as long as you need, but we need you to do something for us. We know things have been hard since you dropped out of university--"

"Maybe Ivy league just wasn't the thing for me and you shouldn't have shoved it down my throat. I tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen."

"I know that now, but please hear us out. Aunt Linda has dropped by to offer you a once in a lifetime chance."

I sighed and rolled my eyes, but I had to admit I was intrigued, Aunt Linda had always been the fun aunt, "Okay, I'm listening."

Aunt Linda smiled sweetly and said, "Well, honey, your mom was looking up some... help... for you..."