The Tunnels~Part I

We walked until we reached Leaf's ancient village, gathering what was left of our belongings, the woods scattered around us bathed once again in the playful burst of the summer's sunlight, life awakening after a painful night.

We continued traipsing for a couple of hours before we reached the farthest confines of District Pondor, the furthest section of Arelesia from the continent's capital, Ragnar. We stood on the highest point of the dene, staring at the extending green fields in front of our eyes. Flowers had bloomed, filling the earth with an endless haze of colors.

It had been only a night since we left the temple in Rimelia, but it felt like it had been much longer. They said the measure of life was not counted by the amount of days we lived, but formed from the heap of various things that filled one's attic and somehow summed up a lifetime of experiences.

My eyes wandered over the wide green fields, swimming in the vast landscape, all the way from the squirting rivers to the ponds, the orchards and fields planted with golden wheat that swayed with the gentle wind.

"Which direction do we take now?'' asked Leon, taking us away from the beauty of the landscape.

"Deneyosis is situated about four days of walk from the place we're standing on, but I'm not quite certain on which side we're on. If I had to guess, I'd say we're at the southwest part,'' explained Carter.

"So, we are, somehow, but not officially, lost,'' I stated, digesting his words.

"I might have an idea,'' said Mayra, pointing her finger at me, ''Apparently, the scroll responds to your orders, maybe it can give us a map or some sign to start with.''

"That might work.''

I opened my leather bag and rummaged in my bag that consisted of an array of weapons, the crystalline sphere, and the wrapped, dried healing powder, before pulling the scroll.

As I did so, I removed my last piece of sesame bread wrapped in skim and stared at the youngling clutching my side.

She had been running away from the devils for so long that I doubted she had had anything proper to eat. It wasn't like my final piece of bread was a decent breakfast, but it was better than starving to death.

"Leaf,'' --her silver eyes peeked curiously as I called her name-- ''are you hungry?''

She nodded fervently and I gave her my food. Unwrapping it, she munched, looking famished. She had already taken about three bites when she stopped, looking puzzlingly at me.

'You do not want some?'

"It is all yours,'' I replied, gently tucking her hair before she continued eating.

"Speaking of that,'' Mayra interrupted, ''all the food I had is lost due to the avalanche. I fear we have nothing to eat for the rest of the journey.''

"Worry not,'' said Carter, ''Arelesia is filled with fields and fruity plants. We can accommodate ourselves.''