Mirkwood

They reached the outskirts of the forest around midday. The trees looked brown and dead, leaves decaying and ready to fall off.

"No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side," Dwalin said.

"Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master," Gandalf told them.

"This forest feels... sick. As if a disease lays upon it. Is there no way around?" Bilbo asked.

"Not unless we go two hundred miles north or twice that distance south," Gandalf answered.

Lauranna sighed, getting her things of the pony she had ridden. It nuzzled her as she spotted the black bear on the rock, watching them from a distance. Lauranna gently pushed her pony in the direction of Beorn's house, but it wouldn't budge. She sighed and turned to look at the bear. It seemed to be thinking.

"This pony won't leave," she muttered under her breath, looking at the creature.

"Why?" Kili asked.

"How am I supposed to know? I don't speak horse."

"It would be funny if you did."

"Not really."

The bear suddenly roared, scaring the pony in front of the girl to move back to the house.

"There we go," she said, watching it canter away.

"Not my horse! I need it!" Gandalf called out.

"You're not leaving us?" Bilbo asked.

"I would not do this unless I had to. You've changed. You're not the same Hobbit as the one that left the Shire."

"I was going to tell you. I found something in the Goblin tunnels."

"What is it? What did you find?"

"My courage," Bilbo said after a hesitation.

"Good. That's good. You'll need it," Gandalf said as it started to rain. "This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air is thick with illusion. It will attempt to enter your mind and lead you astray. There is a stream in the forest that holds an enchantment. Do not touch the water. Cross only by the stone bridge. Whatever you do, don't leave the path."

Gandalf mounted his horse and rode off. With a bad feeling, Lauranna followed the Company into the forest. She took a sip of the substance that Beorn had given her. She felt refreshed the second she swallowed. Bilbo looked at her curiously but said nothing.

"Air. I need air," Bofur muttered.

"Get above the canopy," Lauranna told him.

"How?"

"Climb a tree."

"Dwarves don't climb trees," Thorin said.

"This Dwarf does. I have climbed trees since I was young," Lauranna shot back.

As they went, the Company seemed to get more and more disoriented. Lauranna kept her mind clear of the disorientation by drinking the liquid every hour.

"How are you not affected?" Kili slurred.

"I have a strong will and a strong mind," she answered simply.

They suddenly stopped, making Lauranna sigh.

"Why are we stopped?" Fili wondered.

"We found the bridge," Nori pointed out.