Chapter 24

Rob and Kelsy were walking up on the porch of the clinic to unlock the door. The clinic wouldn't be open for another hour. But they arrived early to check on Tim and to get things ready for opening.

Tim's truck came screeching to a stop in the parking lot. Austin jumps out of the truck and runs to the clinic.

"What's your hurry?" Rob asks with a smile as he slides the key into the lock.

"Adam called. Timmy is awake." Austin answers as he tries to catch his breath.

"That's great news." Rob grins as he finally gets the door open. The three hurry inside and Rob relocks the door behind them. Jenika would be there soon but she had her own key.

Austin runs down the hall ahead of Rob and Kelsey.

Running into the room, he stops as he sees his brother still asleep. Adam was carefully washing his bruised face.

"I thought you said he was awake?" Austin asks, a little disheartened.

"He was but Chance had to give him something for the pain and it knocked him out again." Adam answers quietly.

"Did he say anything?" Austin asks as he takes a seat beside the bed.

"A little. He doesn't have much of a voice right now. He's just happy that we found him." Adam smiles at Austin.

"He ain't the only one." Austin smiles as he shakes his head.

"Have you heard anything from Mark and Bob yet?" Adam asks as he puts away the bowl of water he had been using to wash Tim.

"No, not yet. I hope we hear something from them soon and that it's good news." Austin says.

"Me too. I want those guys to pay for what they did." Adam says but his attention is drawn quickly to his husband as he hears him groan softly.

Tim tries to open his eye lids that felt as if they weighed a ton. He was still heavily affected by the pain medication that Chance had given him.

"Hey, Sweetie." Adam says softly as his husband tries once again to open his eyes.

"Hey." Tim whispers, closing his eyes.

"You have company." Adam smiles as he brushes back Tim's hair.

Tim tries once more to open his eyes and focus on the person smiling down at him. As his vision became clearer, he could make out the face of his little brother.

"Hey, Squirt." Tim says groggily with a drunken smile.

"Hi, Bubba." Austin says, his smile widening. "We were so worried about you."

"I was too." Tim says hoarsely with a smile.

Tim had bandages wrapped around him protecting the slashes across his back and giving his bruised ribs support. Both wrists and ankles were scarred with severe rope burns.

"Anything from Mark and Bob yet?" Tim asks as he tries to clear his throat.

"No, not yet." Austin answers.

"I hope they're alright." Tim says in a hoarse voice.

"I'm sure they're fine, Baby. This is Mark and Bayou Bob we are talking about." Adam says with a smile.

"Can I ... Can I have some water?" Tim asks, licking his dry lips.

"Sure." Adam says as he reaching for a cup and the pitcher of water on the table beside the bed.

Filling the cup with water, Adam reaches under Tim's head and helps support it as Tim raises it up to take a drink. The cool water soothing his burning dry throat.