Chapter 12: The Death of a Lily

Derek was young. He had dead eyes before he ever took his last breath. Derek had seen things. Things that had taken a toll on his soul. I don't know what it was. But I know he knew this feeling.

    In the end when the war is over people will say I made a valiant sacrifice. The truth is I murdered someone. In cold blood. I looked Derek on his eyes and murdered him. People will say: "she's strong. She sacrificed everything." But in the end I stole someone's life. War changes people.

    My room felt twenty degrees colder than last night. I had been sitting on my bed for at least an hour. I wasn't sure. Time seemed irrelevant. When I stood the room swayed. When I sat time with eerily still. Dinner was soon. I'd have to face everyone who stayed here. Tom didn't stay much. He was here when he needed to be. But mostly he stayed else where. Doing Merlin knows what.

     There was a knock out the door. Severus had already gone back to Hogwarts to finish out the last week before Christmas break. I had no idea who this was. I did know jay I wasn't ready to face anyone. I ignored the knock hoping the person would go away. A few seconds later came another knock. And more after that. They weren't going away. I slowly walked to the door and stood in front of it. "Who is it?"

     "Deverose Black, ma'am."

     "What do you want?" I called quietly.

     "I wish to speak with you."

     "I'm not much in the mood."

    "I could imagine.. Let me in please." he spoke softly. Almost sympathetically. I sighed and opened the door. Deverose stepped in and looked around. "I see our Lord spared no expense on his new pet." I shut the door behind me and looked at him.

     "What is it that you wish to speak to about."

    "Right to the point with you, aye?" He gave me a small wink. "First of all, how are you?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

    "I'm fine. Thanks for the concern."

    "No one is fine after murdering their brother in cold blood. Especially someone who's loyalty does not lie with the great Lord."

   "That's not-" I began to argue but he cut me off.

   "Shh little pet. Your secret is safe with me. You're a pretty good actress, but you can't hide your eyes. They're like an open book. Even more so when you look at Severus. I don't blame you though. He'd eventually kill you if you didn't join." Deverose stepped closer to me and brushed a piece of hair from my cheek. "And that would truly be a waste." He gently glided his thumb across my cheek and smiled as he looked into my eyes. I slapped his hand away and stepped back.

   "Why are you so jumpy toward me? Did Severus tell you somehting?"

   "Why do you keep bringing up Head Master Snape?"

   "Oh cut the shit, doll. I've seen the way you look at each other over the past two years. These numb skulls around here would never pick up on it. You're safe."

  "What is it that you want, Deverose?"

  "I want you to tell me what Severus said about me." I sighed and shook my head.

  "You can leave now." I opened the door and motioned for him to leave. Instead, he sat on my bed leaned back on his hands.

   "That hallway is cold. You should shut the door."

   "I'm honestly going to have to hurt you aren't I?" I said as I slammed my door shut.

   "You can try." I huffed and went to pull my wand. Deverose shot up quickly and threw his hand out. My wand went flying across the room. I growled and looked at Deverose staring at me with a smug look.

  "Defendo." I mumbled. A curse went soaring at his chest. Before it hit he deflected it with his hand. So I sent another and another another. Every single one he deflected as he walked closer to me. My anger grew quickly and i felt it course through my body. I pushed my hands out in front of me saying some of the worst curse i could think of. Deverose covered my hands with his and suddenly i could't do anything. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. It was like i was frozen.

   "You should learn to play nicer. Lesson one. Someone is always better than you." Deverose planted a small kiss on my lips. "By the way, I'm your new mentor." A devilish grin stretched across his lips. With that, he let me go. I could move again and i stepped back from him. He smiled at me sweetly right before i slapped him across the face. I hit him hard, but he wasn't fazed. He only smiled more. "I deserved that. I'm sure Severus will want to do worse when he finds out. Can't wait."

  "What is your problem with Severus."

  "He's an uptight dick. Plus he hates me."

  "Why?"

  "We used to be friends. Before the war. He's a little older than me. But we joined at the same time. I still young. He kind of took me under his wing I guess you could say?"

  "If you joined the same time Severus did then how old are you?"

  "I'm 32, Alex." I raised my eyebrows and took a step back.

  "You don't-"

  "I don't look 32, yes, I've heard."

  "So, why does Severus hate you?"

  "Because I helped murder the love of his life."

  "Well, I feel exceedingly safe knowing that."

  "Didn't I say killing you would be a waste? Just like me dying would be a waste. Which is what would have happened if I refused my task. I'm a powerful wizard Alex. I know why you came here. The same reason I did. Therefore, your secret is safe with me. And I will teach. If you'll let me."

"You can train me, nut never kiss me again or I will find a way to hurt you." 

"I make no promises. And Alex... I'll always regret my decision. Just as you will. The Death of a Lily, they called it. The Order and Sirius. It will forever be on conscience." Somehow I believed him.