Chapter 6

{CHAPTER 6}

I'm so relieved that I'm not aware of what's going on. When I turn around, Crystal has pinned Quinn to the ground, and is holding a large sword-like weapon high above her head. She has a rabid look on her face like a wild animal. She is about to kill him. But why? He just saved us. Then I realize; they are Careers, ruthless killers, they'll kill anyone who isn't their ally, and even then, not all allies are safe either, like Cinder.

I have no time to react if I want to save him. But I'm on the other side of the clearing. I try to scream, but no sound comes out. I try again, but the result is the same. I result to running, but I'm too late.

Crystal raises the sword higher in the air, and brings it down, but Quinn moves his head at the last second, and only the tip of his ear is damaged. He rolls, and frees himself from Crystal's grasp. He's up in no time, but his arrows are scattered around the forest floor. He turns around just in time to see Crystal with her sword swinging towards his neck.

She follows through with her swing, and I hear a sickening thud as the sword makes contact. Quinn's head is thrown back at a horrible angle. Then I see something that no one would ever want to see and have to remember for the rest of their life.

Blood spurts from his neck, but there isn't a head anymore. It's on the ground in a puddle of rust-colored liquid. He sinks to the ground, but I don't hear a cannon. Why? He's obviously dead, I mean, you can't live without a head. I can't bear to see him suffer, so I grab a knife from Phoenix, and stab it through his heart. The cannon fires.

I stare at his mangled body in disbelief. Technically, I finished him off. I can't look at the blood and guts leaking from his severed neck, so I turn away. The hovercraft materializes, and picks up his body. Right before it leaves, a smaller claw reaches down and retrieves his head, blood still dripping.

The Careers walk into the forest, congratulating each other on their kill, but instead of following, I run the opposite direction, disgusted. I scream, then tell myself to shut up, because if they hear me, I know I'm next.