Chapter 14

{CHAPTER 14}

It's hard to swim with one hand, let me tell you. I struggle to the surface as my broken wrist hangs limply at my side. I break through the top of the water, and taste fresh air. A tree. It's only five feet away at most. I attempt to reach it, but the current I pulling me away, towards the cornucopia. I slowly start to float, and I reach another tree, and barely grasp it with my foot. I can only see the top three feet of it.

It's nice to catch my breath. I wedge myself in the tree, and inspect my hand. I can see the bone at a weird angle. Unfortunately, I lost my pack in the fight, so I have nothing to brace my wrist with. But I'm in a tree! A tree, with branches to make a splint.

I quickly reach for the nearest branch that is about the width of my pinky finger. I grab onto it and rip it from the tree. I don't know what kind of tree this is, but the leaves are too small the wrap around the splint, so I'll have to use the bark. I begin to peel away the bark when I notice a weird buzzing sound, almost like that of a bee. The sound grows more intense and I begin to get worried. I start wrapping my wrist with branch and long string of bark I've peeled away.

I finish quickly, and then notice what the noise is. There is a abnormally sized mosquito about the size of my fist coming towards me. I look beyond, and see hundreds, maybe thousands swarming toward my head. Right when I am about to accept my death that is sure to come, they swoop to my left, to the tree next to me, where the district one girl, Crystal's, body lays, torn apart by the tidal wave.