Chapter 16

{CHAPTER 16}

The only thing I am able to do is to go up against the situation. I hope the spear she used was her only weapon, because if she has knives, I'm gone and I know it. I decide that my best option is to use the element of surprise; to sneak up on her when she is least expecting it. I see her look around, confused, I think she thinks she's the only one left, and she's waiting for the hovercraft to come down and retrieve her. Perfect. I want her to think that.

I take a huge breath and dive deep under water. At home I can make it fifty yards without breathing, but considering the circumstances, I can probably make it ten, fifteen at most. I decide to take the longer route so that if I do come up for air, she won't see me. I'm almost behind the cornucopia when I break for air. She is hanging from the top, right within my reach, but I know however bad I injure her, she won't go down without a fight. I heave my body at her and sink the larger of the two knives into her rib, not anywhere near her heart though. She instantly let's out an ear piercing scream, and falls into the water. She's struggling to grab my throat, but I don't let her. She grabs hold of my left arm, the one with the broken wrist, and I try to free myself, but I can't. She sends a punch at my temple, and I try to dodge it, but I'm too weak, and I feel the whole impact of the blow. She strikes again, this time, I see her face at a distorted angle, and everything seems more blurry than usual. She's about to finish me off, when I take the small knife with my right hand and slash at her flying hand. She screams in agony, and I slash again, this time it's her shoulder. She's beginning to feel the impact of her injuries, and starts to loosen her grip.

I raise my hand with the knife, and she weakly attempts to block it, but I follow through and drive the knife into her stomach. She's almost unconscious and I decide to let her die. I don't want her body too damaged when it's returned to her family. I don't want her family to have to live like Quinn's now, with a child so broken it's hard to look at. She whispers a few last words, "you bitch, I was supposed to win, you know that. I was supposed to go home. I was supposed to win-" her voice fades into nothing, and I'm in such a daze, I barely hear the cannon and the hovercraft coming to pick both of us up.