👀Searching

I do not at all understand the mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.
Anne Lamott

I think on some level, you do your best things when you're a little off-balance, a little scared. You've got to work from mystery, from wonder, from not knowing.
Willem Dafoe

CROW HILLS TOWN
THE JAMES HOME
SATURDAY
1:30 PM
TERRENCE JAMES

He spent more than forty five minutes in the shower crying his eyes out, but that didn't seem to bring his memory back. The cold was what finally pushed him out of the shower.

Wrapping his towels tightly around his waist he went to his room.  Unfortunately for him, his mother was already waiting for him and to add more to his bad luck she was holding the trouser with the blood stain in her lap.

Thick Saliva pooled in his mouth, he tried swallowing but it was difficult, it seemed like an impossible thing, his tongue had grown bigger in size within seconds. His mother looked up from the clothe she was holding with raised eyebrows, her signature of asking a question.

"Good morning mom." He said acting as if he didn't understand the question she was asking.

"Is it a good morning?" She asked, lifting up the trouser for him to see.

"Mom, I don't know what that was, maybe a ketchup spilled at the party. You do know I attended last night's party right?" He said, sounding alarmed at the little or no change in his mother's expression.

"I was informed that you attended the party, but that does not explain this stain and don't lie to me and tell me it was a ketchup this is definitely a blood stain." His mother said, standing up from his bed.

"I don't know mom, I really don't know." He answered but he couldn't cover his guilt so he entered the room fully.

"Come here let me see, did you hurt yourself? Or maybe someone hurt you at the party?" His mother asked, moving closer to him. Checking his body all over for any traces of wound or blood.

"Mom, please. Am not hurt anywhere and this is embarrassing." He protested, moving away from his mothers prying hands.

Standing up and facing him fully, his mother looked at his face, concentrating her eyes firmly on his, it was one of his mother's tactics to detect if he was lying. If he turns away, it means he is lying. So he tried as much as he could and held his mother's gaze for longer.

Satisfied with his innocence, she went back to his laundry basket and picked up his remaining dirty clothes along with the stained trousers, carrying them towards the door. She stopped suddenly as if she remembered something and turned slowly towards him.

"You, young man didn't sleep at home last night. I checked up on both you and your sister. She came home around 12:51 am but you never came home because I checked again after i saw your sister. So you have some explaining to do. Be down in thirty minutes, me and your father will be waiting for you." She said and turn around leaving his room.

He could hear her footsteps on the stairs, but he was rooted to a spot and couldn't decided on what to do. He kept on searching his memory but everything from the last night was blank.