CHAPTER TWELVE

Armel's POV

            I am pacing to and fro while listening to the never-ending monologue of my father. I really wanted to end the call, but I am sure that if I do that, my dad would just pester me with unending calls.  I smiled faintly to a man I saw entering the restroom and I gave him a way so he can pass thru.

            "Aren't you going to drop this?  I told you, I had to go.  I had to attend to my business," sinikap kong maging malumanay kahit napipikon na ako kay daddy.

            "But Estelle was waiting for you since last night.  Tapos kaninang umaga naghihintay pa rin sa iyo.  Nakakahiya naman doon sa tao.  Saka ano ba ang mga negosyong inuubusan mo ng oras?  Sabi mo sa akin may mga tao kang umaasikaso noon at magpo-focus ka na sa hotel.  You have to take care of your hotel, Carmelo." Dad sounded so serious right now, but I knew there were some other reasons why my dad was acting like this.

            "Why are you like that?  Did something happen?" Ngayon ay nag-aalala na ako sa kanya.

            I didn't hear any response from him just a loud sound of exasperated breath.

            "Estelle's dad is really killing me, Armel.  Kinukulit niya ako to set you up with his daughter.  I told him since the beginning and many times na wala naman akong magagawa sa bagay na iyan.  You are not a child anymore para madiktahan ko pa," sagot ni daddy sa akin.

            Napabuga ako ng hangin sa narinig ko.  Sinasabi ko na nga ba.  Alam kong kaya nai-stress ng ganito si dad at kaya niya ako kinukulit ay dahil gusto ng daddy ni Estelle na magkatuluyan kami ng anak niya para mas lalong tumibay ang partnership ni dad at ng company nila Estelle.

            "Dad, please don't mind them para hindi ka na ma–stress.  Sinabi ko na sa iyo noon pa huwag ka ng makipag–partner sa kanila.  Sasakit lang ang ulo mo and hindi mo kailangan ng partner for the hotel in Boracay," naiiling na sagot ko tapos ay natawa na ako.  "Besides, you are ruining my date."

            Narinig kong bahagyang naubo si daddy.  Parang nagulat sa narinig na sagot ko.

            "Date?  You are having a date right now?  Are you sure?  With who?  Who is she? Do I know here?" Sunod-sunod na tanong ni dad.  I can sense the excitement on his voice.

Natawa na ako kasi alam kong nawala na ang inis na nararamdaman ng tatay ko.  Alam kong pagdating sa ganitong bagay ay nai-excite siya dahil gusto talaga niyang mag-asawa na ako.

"You don't know her, dad.  She is a nice woman.  A perfect one.  She is pretty, she is a good mother, she is-"

"Carmelo, she's married?  Are you hitting on a married woman?  Are you that desperate?  I told you I want you to get married, but I didn't say that you can just get any woman." Dad's tone was so serious kaya lalo akong natawa.

"No.  No, dad.  She is not married, okay?  She has a kid, but she is not married.  That's okay with you right?" Paniniguro ko sa kanya. Open minded si daddy at alam kong maiintindihan niya kung nagmahal ako sa babaeng may anak na.

Ramdam kong bahagyang kumalma si daddy.

"Yeah.  It's fine with me as long as you like her, and she is worth it.  But is it okay with you?"

"Even if he was married twice and she has ten kids, I still want her.  This is a first time, dad.  I've never been so eager to be with a woman like this.  It was love at first sight.  I wanted to marry her would you believe that?" Hindi ko na napigil na mapangiti at napakagat-labi pa ako sa naisip ko.  Alam kong nakakabigla pero sa totoo lang, iyon ang nararamdaman ko.  I wanted to be with Rosey for the rest of my life.