= Chapter 38 =

"For your eyes only, I show you my heart."

-Jeremy Lockhart
=============
SKYLAR⚓️

"Here we are." Jeremy breathed out, his hands placed on his waist.

It was exactly how it looked before—dark with ominous atmosphere running through your veins turning your blood to ice.

"Let's go in." I pulled him by the wrist, but he didn't move an inch.

"Stop." His commanded as his eyes scanned the surroundings.

At that moment, my phone vibrated. Giving Jeremy a knowing look, he too was feeling uncomfortable. Sliding to unlock the message, I read out.

" you are on the right track, my eyes are everywhere. 3W! "

"Someone's watching us." Jeremy concluded, I nodded weakly before making slow steps towards the church with Jeremy following behind.

The twigs and leaves that scattered across the ground coated the damp soil like a trap. We had to be extra careful this time, anything could happen.

"I love horror movies, but I never thought how it would actually feel like." Jeremy muttered as we reached the front entrance of the church.

"How about we talk about something less cursing to distract ourselves." I snapped in a whisper. Pushing the handles downwards, I walked in with Jeremy.

"Fine, why did Dante even bring you here? I remember we used to play here together before it was abandoned." Jeremy slid his fingers across the benches, he looked as if he was replaying his fond memories.

"He wanted to show me his favourite place and he also showed me something very interesting which I think could help us." I wiggled my eyebrows, proud of my smart thinking.

Climbing up the spiral stairs, the familiar sight of the locked golden door came to view.

"Oh man, we need the key." I whined, stomping my foot.

Inspecting the keyhole, Jeremy traced his finger over its outline.

"It's a shape of an eagle, and it's bronze..." Jeremy mumbled in realization, as if he was having some internal conflict.

"So? Aren't you stating the obvious?" I answered in a duh-tone. Nodding in agreement, I knew that he was still thinking about his discovery.

Grabbing onto the door handle he pulled it sideways, his actions startled me.

"Are you trying to break the door??!"

"No! Dante would find out, we can't let that happen. I need your help though."
Sighing in relief, I placed my hand to my chest.

"Take the credit card from my wallet in the front pocket of my bag. Slide the card into the crack in the door, right where the lock is. Tilt the card to the side that's closest to you. Push it until you feel it slide in more. Bend the card the opposite way, forcing the lock to go back. Do exactly." He commanded as I acted on his instructions.

In a click, the door unlocked which brought a smile of achievement on both our faces.

Absorbing the interior of the room, we walked in. Jeremy was rooted to his spot, still surprised by the view. I, however, dived into inspecting each painting.