When I Grow Up

"Tanner...?"

"Tanneeeeer..."

no...

"Haha, no won't keep me from waking you up, buddy. You need to take your meds and have a bath, you smelly pup."

I couldn't remember the past day...or three? Except that I was woken up several times and given small pieces of meat, then left to go back to sleep. A bowl of water was always fresh and full right next to the blankets I lay on. The only time I really got up was to relieve myself in the corner. After the first time I did that, I woke up to find paper all over that corner, along with some weird soft paper-like thing that smelled kinda like other animals.

Definitely have to pee on that.

Now it was the third day...I think, and I was feeling a little bit better. My leg still hurt pretty badly, especially when I moved it by mistake, and my neck was sore, but the food and water, along with being out of the elements, definitely helped my body heal from whatever the others had done to it. My only real complaint about this situation was the annoying thing on my head that kept me from biting at my itchy leg and body. I would have also liked the thing around my mouth off, but meh, I could still somewhat easily eat and drink with it there.

Returning my attention to the annoying man—Cole—I rolled my eyes and replied with an annoyed, drawn out Noooo.

"Yeeees. Come on, you. I know it'll feel good, just give it a chance."

I huffed and bared my teeth, but he just smiled and began lifting me up. Instantly I began to struggle, remembering the last time he had taken me from one of these rooms. I had ended up coming back more hurt than I'd come in.

No no no no.

Cole growled and stumbled as he carried me down a hall and into another room. I had planned to dart out of it as soon as he put me back on the floor, but his friend from before was there to get the door shut before I was set down. Darnit! He set me down on some weird, smooth, white, rock-like stuff, and I quickly ran to hide between the big white thing and the other bigger white thing. It was hard to get back there because of the cone on my head, but I managed to at least squeeze in backward.

No ow, no. Cole no ow!

They both ignored me for a moment as the slightly shorter one set a soft thing on the small white thing, and the other started water up in the other, bigger white thing.

Hmm...this reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my paw on it.

When Cole turned toward me and knelt down, I growled a warning to stay back. Whatever they were planning, it would probably hurt, and I was already in enough pain.

No ow, Tanner. Cole help...

Help? I didn't remember what that meant either, but I'd heard it a lot over the past few days.

No help, Cole ow Tanner.

He leaned back a little and sighed, pursing his lips. He looked almost upset but not mad?

Cole did ow Tanner, and Cole is very sorry.

He reached forward again, but this time I only grumbled a little bit as he gently petted the little bit of fur I had along the right side of my face. I was honestly jealous of his wolf. It had had so much beautiful black fur when I first met him in the woods...I must look and feel terrible to others.

I hadn't realized I was leaning against his hand until he began to scratch just below my right ear. Nnnn...That feels so goooood.

"Feels nice? I can only imagine with that mange you've picked up."