12. Delicious Slush

'Rick' she whispered.

I stiffened. Rick?

'Rick? Is that you? Oh God, I...' An unarguably flattering blush rose to her cheeks. 'I probably shouldn't have called you that. We aren't small children anymore.'

'By all means, continue as we were before.' Giving her a long, long look from under dark lashes, Mr Ambrose straightened out of his bow. 'There's no need for ceremony among old friends.'

Old friends? What the heck–

My heart froze in my chest – but unlike Lady Caroline, I wasn't an ice queen. A moment later, the ice splintered, broke apart, and my heart exploded into fire. Hot, red, angry fire!

I stepped on Mr Ambrose's foot.

'Ng!'

'Pardon?' Lady Caroline enquired. 'Did you say something?'

My dear employer, the treacherous weasel, cleared his throat. 'No, it's nothing.'

Oh? I was 'nothing' now, was I?

I pressed down harder on his foot. Somehow, damn him, he managed to maintain an absolutely impassive expression. I might as well have been standing on the foot of an elephant, for all the difference it made.

Time for a switch in tactics.

'Won't you introduce us?' I asked with enough sweetness to fill a dozen pots of honey and still have enough left to sweeten tea.

'Certainly.' With a jerk, Mr Ambrose removed his foot from under mine. 'Mr Linton, may I introduce you to Lady Caroline Elaine Sambridge, an old friend of the family's. Caroline, please meet Mr Victor Linton, my–'

'–his private secretary,' I cut in, bowing to Lady Caroline just about an inch or two. 'I manage his appointments. Which means that if you should wish to see him, you will have to make an appointment with me.'

This time, it was Mr Ambrose who stepped on my foot, and I wasn't quite as successful as he had been in keeping my face expressionless.

Lady Caroline gave me a genuinely happy smile, completely unaware of the marvellous multitude of tortures I was devising for her in my head at this very moment.

'Delighted to meet you, Mr Linton.'

Likewise – not!

Adaira stepped forward hesitantly. It was pretty clear that she knew the other girl but was somewhat intimidated by her extravagant attire. I made a mental note to have a little talk with Adaira about confidence. If she could manage her brother, she sure as heck shouldn't have any trouble with this lady.

'Won't you come inside and have a cup of tea, Caroline? I'm sure you could use something to warm up after the journey.'

'Thank you, I'm quite warm and comfortable thanks to this.' She stroked an admiring hand over her fur coat. 'Isn't it wonderful? The finest quality, all the way from Russia.'

'Um...yes. Quite.'

'But a cup of tea is always welcome.'

'As you wish. Willie? Reginald?' Adaira clapped her hand to call the footmen. 'Take care of Lady Caroline's baggage and–'

'Oh, don't trouble yourself.' Caroline waved Adaira's words away, gesturing at two men in lavish uniforms who had been riding on the back of the coach and now jumped off to hurry and get the luggage. 'My own servants will take care of it.'

'Oh. Well, I see.'

With what I thought was admirable restraint, Adaira refrained from kicking the arrogant little witch. This Caroline was altogether too fond of herself and her money.