39. The Announcement

'Hello?' The doorknob rattled against my behind. 'Hello? Is anyone in there?'

I jumped away from the door as if a bear had bitten me in the butt. And, I supposed, in a way it had. As the door opened and Lady Samantha's motherly, radiant face appeared in the doorway, all I could think was:

OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGodIjustofferedtohaveanintimateaffairwiththissweetlady'sson!I'msogoingtohell!

And I didn't even believe in hell.

But when Lady Samantha smiled at me and a moment later hugged me close, that sort of made me believe a tiny little bit in heaven.

'Oh, my dear, I'm so glad you're back! I hope the Sultana is all right?'

It was good she was still hugging me. That way, she didn't see my jaw drop open.

'The...what?'

'The Sultana, dear! Adaira told me how you had to leave suddenly, because the Sultana of Bakavāsa had arrived in the country for a visit, and you had to be there to greet her, since she was an old friend of your mother's.'

'Oh, she did, did she?'

'I never knew that you moved in such exalted circles, dear.'

'Neither did I.'

'Pardon, what did you say?'

'I said, I'm a little bit shy.'

'Oh, that's so adorable.' She gave me a last hug before letting me go. 'Look at you! You look all flushed and pretty. Was the journey bracing?'

'Um...oh yes.'

And so was having my mouth ravished by your son.

'The Sultana is well, I trust?'

I managed to get a smile on my face. 'The Sultana of Bakavāsa is as well as she's ever been.'

'Oh, I'm so glad to hear that, my dear. I had to admit, I was slightly worried.'

'Worried?'

'Yes, I...' Lady Samantha glanced aside, looking almost too guilty for such a sweet soul. 'I understood that you had to go greet your mother's old friend, of course, and I would never have asked you to do differently, but...I really hoped that you wouldn't be long. I'm so glad you managed to return in time for the Christmas ball.'

'You are?'

'Yes.'

She peeked up at me.

'Has my son come to see you since your return?'

Suddenly, the atmosphere in the room was prickling. I wet my dry lips. Bloody hell, bloody hell, bloody hell, what to say?

'He came to see me.'

'I thought perhaps he might. Did he say anything?'

You mean apart from commanding me to elope with him?

'Not much.'

That much at least was true. His mouth had been otherwise engaged most of the time.

'Miss Linton...' Again, Lady Samantha glanced up at me. 'I hope I'm not being too presumptuous when I say that it would make an old woman very happy to see you dance with my son at the Christmas ball. I couldn't wish for a better gift.'

My breath caught. Was she hinting...

No.

It couldn't be.