37. Is your Pulse Working, my Love?

When Karim returned with an escort of armed riders a quarter of an hour later, Mr Ambrose and I were standing at the stone railing, a proper distance between us, studying the frozen river with an interest which rivalled that of two professional limnologists. What we had been doing two minutes earlier...well, that was another matter. But nobody needed to know about that. Especially not Karim, who worked so hard to preserve the innocence of his eyes.

Smiling, I turned to greet the big man.

'Greetings, oh Prince Fragrant Yellow Flower in the Happy Moonlight. Shall we return to your ancestral palace of Gobbledygook in the principality of Rubbish?'

'Sahib,' my favourite walking mountain enquired with unmoving features, 'may I shoot her?'

'No!'

Mr Ambrose's order came perhaps a bit faster and more forceful than it would have done a day ago. But neither Karim nor anyone else seemed to notice. I noticed, though. I noticed a lot. And the warmth blossoming inside me wasn't the least bit dampened when he added: 'It would be a waste to exterminate her when we just spent so much money to reacquire her.'

Karim gave a reluctant grunt of agreement. With a hand signal, he called our guards from their positions. Mr Ambrose lifted me onto the stallion's back and then swung himself up behind me.

'Can I take the reins this time, Sir?'

'No.'

'I thought you loved m–'

A hand clapped over my mouth, cutting off all sound.

'Don't you dare!' he hissed. 'Don't you dare say it aloud! Someone might hear!'

'Mmnmmmh?'

'If you say it out loud, I will make your life a living hell.'

Which is different from my usual work schedule as your secretary how exactly?

It's too bad that you can't use smart comebacks when someone is holding a hand over your mouth. So, instead, I nipped his finger.

'Mr Linton!'

Dear me...we would really have to work on this gender issue. Otherwise, I might have to view his recent confession in an entirely new light.

Slowly, as if he were still afraid I might utter forbidden words in front of his men, he let his hand drop from my mouth.

'Let's get going, men. To Battlewood Hall!'

And he gave his mount the spurs. The horse sprang forward and I was jolted back against Mr Ambrose – to which I by no means objected. Stretching up towards him, I placed my lips right next to his ear and whispered: 'Love.'

His arms tightened around me. 'You are incorrigible.'

'Well, then start to encourage me.' I nipped his earlobe. 'It's about time you did.'

He was silent for a moment. Then...

'Maybe.'

Eh? Agreement from Mr Rikkard Ambrose? Was I dreaming?

'Mr Ambrose?'

Silence.

'Mr Ambrose? Is something wrong?'

Again, no answer. My neck began to prickle. Something was wrong. Not because of the silence – no, that was to be expected. It was the sort of silence that worried me. Thoughtful. Planning. Scheming. It was the silence of a man deciding the future.