One - I Have To Do What?!

Hair tied, glasses on, backpack full, I'm ready for school. I walk out of my room and down the stairs to the kitchen where I see Mom placing pancakes on two plates. She sits down and starts eating her breakfast, and I do the same. 

My mom is single and only has two children: Chris, who is currently a freshman in Penn State University studying Aerospace Engineering. I, on the other hand, am a sophomore in Littlestown Senior High School. Chris and I don't really have that much in common except for the fact that we both like books. I just love them more than he does. 

After eating breakfast, I give my mom a kiss on the cheek and take my backpack from the vacant seat next to mine, the seat that Chris sits on whenever he visits. I see the bus arriving at the bus stop just as I walk out of the house. Quickly, I run the bus and get inside. I instantly hear the sound of loud conversations as I walk all the way to the back. Unzipping my backpack, I take out my book Looking For Alaska by John Green. I start reading from where I left off. I'm what everybody knows as 'the book nerd'. They call me that because they always see me reading. Sure they know what I love to do, but they don't know one important thing about me: my name. 

My name is Estelle Garder, and I'm 16 years old. I know Estelle is a weird name, but it's better than what my dad wanted to call me. He wanted me to be named Logana, and that's even weirder than Estelle. I don't have a nickname because I didn't have the friends to give me one. It's quite obvious that I don't have any friends, unless fictional characters count. I'm that antisocial freak that just stays at the back of the bus and doesn't talk.

The time passes by as I read, and before I know it, the bus comes to a stop. Everybody gets up and starts pushing and moving each other to get out of the bus. I stay seated. Why stress over getting out while I can just wait 'til everybody does first? Once they're all out, I stand up, put my book away, and leave. I walk to my locker and put my bag inside. I take out the books that I need for the morning and head to my first class. The bell rings once I'm in the classroom. 

As much as I love reading novels, they're not the same as textbooks. Textbooks are just plain old boring, and that's one of the reasons why I always zone out whenever I'm in class. the teacher starts talking about the topic wer'e on, but I don't listen. Nobody does anyway. 

~'~'~'~'~

After a few more classes, the bell rings for lunch. Instead of runing straight to the cafeteria like the others, I walk to my locker first and put my books away. Then, I go to the lunch room, take a tray, and line up on the lunch line. When I'm done getting my food, I walk out of the cafeteria and sit down on the floor, my back leaning against the wall. 

There aren't any seats available in there. Even if I do find one, those who are around it would claim that it's taken or they would just simply say no. Why bother trying when you can just sit outside where there's less noise? As I eat, I read my book as well. 

When I finish my lunch, I put the tray back and throw away what was on it. I continue reading my book outside. Suddenly, two girls pass by me as they chase a blonde boy. Those girls seem angry, while the boy is scared for his well being. I think those three are on my next class. The bell rings, and I go to my locker to get the books I need. I walk into class, and the teacher starts reading aloud from the book. After discussing with the class, she tells us to read what we've just learned silently because we're going to have a quiz. 

As I start reading, I hear the door open. I look up and see the two girls panting.

"Sorry we're late," they say after multiple breaths. 

"Take your seats. Read Chapter 12 silently. We're going to have a quiz," the teacher tells them.

They do as told and open their books. Then, the blonde boy walks in, also tired, but with a smug look on his face. Those two girls are never late, so they're pretty much off the hook. This guy on the other hand, I know him as the school troublemaker, so he's definiately not easily forgiven. He doesn't even bother saying "Sorry I'm late."