CHAPTER TWO

Daisy blinked. She clicked on the home button on her phone, and looked at the time. It was three in the morning, and she needed to be up in three hours to be at work an hour before the zoo opened. The butterflies awakened in her stomach, and she suddenly felt nauseous. How was she going to make it a whole day working at the zoo?

     Uncle George hadn't done much to help ease her anxiety. He hadn't spoken about the position he was going to give her, just that she should go on Monday and he'd help her get settled. She had called him, only for his phone to go to voicemail. Trying to find a comfortable position on the bed, she forced her eyes shut. She began to count sheep as her mind drifted off.

     . . .

     Daisy could see past her biased view of animals long enough to appreciate what a happy environment the zoo really was. It was open and lively, full of families marveling at the beautiful creatures around them. And then there was her uncle, chattering excitedly about his work and the employees that she would soon meet.

     "Tommy is a marvelous worker, a really nice guy. You'll like him," George promised. "And Alicia will be a great help to you. She just started last year so she can relate to being the new girl on the job. You'll also get to meet Benedict and Mary and Rubio..."

     He went on while Daisy only smiled and nodded her head. If she was being completely honest, her nerves were beginning to get the best of her. It was a completely new and exhilarating environment, and she would also be mortified if she let her Uncle down. What if she wasn't prepared for the job he was offering?

     Blinking blearily through the harsh sunlight, she did her best to suppress a yawn. The night's sleep had been a rough one; all she did was toss and turn, occasionally waking up. There had been a dream here or there, about lions roaming free and exotic birds filling her room.

     They ran into Alicia while she was stepping out of the lions exhibit. She was a tall girl, her braids pulled back away from her face, her broad smile in clear view. "Nice to meet you," she said kindly, holding a hand out to shake.

     Uncle George smiled proudly as he introduced the new coworkers to each other. Alicia had just come from feeding the lions, he explained.

     "Izu is a big eater," she told them with a laugh. Visibly switching into guide mode, she happily informed Daisy, "he usually eats around a quarter of his own body weight in a single meal!"

     For the next ten minutes, Daisy listened with rapt attention as she learned about the lion pride. There was the beautiful lioness Oshana, along with Mina and, of course, Izu. Soon, the pride would be growing by four. Oshana was happily expecting, Alicia explained.

     Uncle George watched the interaction between Daisy and Alicia, before speaking. "Come on, Daisy, let's continue the tour."

     "If you need any help at any point just holla at me," Alicia said. "I know what it's like to be the new girl."

     "Yeah, you too," Daisy said. Then she smiled, realizing her mistake. Alicia was the expert. Daisy was the newbie. Alicia returned the smile. "It was nice meeting you."

     Uncle George continued to walk, and Daisy followed. He showed her around the zoo, and gave her a map in case she got lost. He told her when she could take her lunch break, at 1:30. It was a thirty minute lunch break. Daisy could also take a ten minute break, if she chose to.

     "This is where you'll be working," uncle George said. Daisy looked around at her surroundings. They were near the entrance, close enough to where Daisy could see the parking lot. Close enough to where she could run to her car and drive away...she was kidding herself of course. She wouldn't do that, though the idea was comforting.