CHAPTER THREE

After a couple of days of working at the zoo, Daisy still wasn't used to waking up so early to go to work. Even when she attended college, her classes didn't start until eight. It had always been easy for her to naturally wake up in time without any help or pestering. Now, Daisy groggily woke up to the ringing of her alarm. Deciding not to delay her suffering any longer, she slid out from under her warm covers on the third shrill ring. Bracing the cold morning air, she quickly made her way to the restroom to splash water on her face, and prepare for the day.

It wasn't long before the delicious smell of breakfast wafted in from the kitchen. One smell in particular drew her out of her room. It was the smell of brewing coffee that her mom routinely made every morning.

Daisy was always thankful for the coffee. She made her way to the kitchen, still more asleep than awake. She grabbed the coffee pot, and tried pouring herself a cup. She brought the mug to her lips, but no coffee came out.

"Mom?" Daisy asked, when she heard footsteps behind her.

"Yes?" The reply sounded amused, as if her mother already knew what her daughter was asking for. Daisy brought the coffee pot up, to display the missing contents. "Daisy, it's usually empty unless you make more. Do you think coffee magically appears in the pot?"

"No," she meekly replied. "I just thought this was our thing."

"I wake up and make you coffee?" She said. Daisy nodded her head. "You have to grow up someday, and make your own coffee."

Daisy washed the pot, and started another brew of coffee. When her coffee was ready, she had a sip before tossing it. It tasted like dirt.

     . . .

Daisy waved Ben through the front gate. As always, he stopped to say greetings. "Hello, how are you two this morning?"

"Daisy is very cheery," Rubio teased. Daisy had arrived to work without first having some coffee, and Rubio had witnessed just how awful she appeared without her drink. It was easy to assume that she was definitely not a morning person.

Daisy rolled her eyes. "I'm fine," she said, trying not to sound snappy. She never minded Rubio's harmless teasing but at that moment, she felt like death. Mustering a smile for the unassuming Ben, she asked in return, "How are you?"

It was no use; he quickly noticed her tone. "I'm alright, thank you. Bad morning?" Smiling, he eyed her knowingly, familiar with cranky attitudes that came with crawling out of bed.

"I'm okay, really," Daisy insisted but he was still carefully observing her and Daisy felt bad he was worried. She hadn't had coffee, it really wasn't that big of a deal. It certainly wasn't a big enough deal for someone else to worry about it. She opened her mouth to speak, but closed it.

     "Need a cup of coffee?"

     "How did you know?"

     Ben shrugged a shoulder. "You're always having a cup of joe when I walk in the morning."

     "Wow," Daisy nodded her head. "How perceptive of you."

     "Thank you," he smiled. "I do try," he motioned with his hands for Daisy to follow him. "Walk with me. I always make the coffee for the break room. I heard it's quite good."

     As they walked to the rec room, Daisy and Ben didn't talk much. So when they finally reached their destination, Daisy was glad the short awkward trip was over. Once he started making a pot of coffee, Daisy mentally made notes of how much coffee and water he added.

     When it was ready, Daisy added sugar and cream. She noticed Ben didn't even drink coffee, instead he made a cup of tea for himself.

     She cleared her throat. "Thanks for the coffee."

     "Sure."

     Hesitantly taking a sip, she desperately tried to think of appropriate conversation. Of course, she said the first thing that came to mind. "I wanted to wish you an early happy birthday," she told him brightly. "How old are you turning anyway?"

     "How did you know it's my birthday?" His eyebrow quirked as he teasingly stared her down. He certainly had a knack for that; it was something about his eyes; they were so bright. And whenever anyone had Ben's attention, they had his undivided attention. Daisy always felt like an open book around him.

     At his question and observant gaze, she instantly froze, lips puckered as her thoughts raced. It had slipped her mind that the party being thrown for him was a surprise. She had never been very good with secrets.

     "Oh, um," she stammered, wide eyed, watching his lips pull back in a grin. "I think Alicia just mentioned it. It must have come up in conversation." Her face was burning as her mortification grew.

     "You look like a deer caught in the headlights," he laughed as she began gulping down her hot drink. "I suppose the topic of my birthday should be off limits."

     He knew. He totally knew and she had just give away the surprise. With a sigh, her head dropped into her hands.

     "Don't be so hard on yourself," he said sweetly. "Rubio has been accidentally dropping hints for weeks. I wasn't sure what they were planning. Quite frankly, I'm still wondering."

     Finally, she cracked a smile. "I guess you won't have to wait much longer."

     . . .

     Daisy was right, Ben didn't wait long at all. Only three days later, as he was casually strolling into the rec room, Ben's friends and co-workers yelled out surprise! in union. Ben pretended to gasp, but the smile on his face was real.

     "Oh my," he breathed. "This is so sweet of you," he looked around at the balloons taped on the wall. He noticed the cake on the table, and the gifts surrounding it. The party quickly became a blur of gift giving, and hugs, and cake eating. The one moment that truly stood out to him was when Daisy shyly walked up, presenting him with her own gift.

     "It's not much," she told him apologetically.

     "You didn't have to." Smiling warmly, he accepted the wrapped present, playfully shaking it next to his ear. "Could it be a plushy?" Ripping into the wrapping paper, he pulled out his newest little treasure. "A beautiful replication of the tursiops truncatus, more commonly known as the dolphin."

     "Show off."

     "It's a lovely gift," he honestly told her, brushing his thumbs over the fuzzy fins.

     "It's cute..." she admitted, "but I thought you'd appreciate the meaning behind it more. The money spent on it went directly to a wildlife preservation charity. Every little bit helps and all that."

     "Daisy, that's wonderful!" Suddenly, she was pulled into a hug and surrounded by his warmth and scent. Her mind was swimming when she heard him say, "Thank you, every bit does help."

     That night, when her shift was done, Daisy saw Ben heading towards his car. She waved his way, and he waved back.

     "Have a good night," Ben said.

     "Good night," she replied. "Oh hey, I realized this morning, I don't have your number. I was going to tell you we were about to surprise you with the party, and all."

     "You were going to tell me to act surprised?" He suggested.

     "Exactly."

     "Oh damn," Ben smiled. "I guess I didn't do as well of a job as I thought. You know, I did think one day I could be be an actor. I've got the looks, don't I?"

     "Ha ha ha." Daisy tried to laugh it off. Ben handed her his phone, and Daisy took it. She put her number in. "Alright, thank you."

     "Sure. Have a good night, Daisy."