CHAPTER FIVE

"Meet Duckie!" Ben proudly held up one of his favorite box turtles, smiling as the crowd of employees cooed in awe. No one wondered about the contradictory name; little Duckie, along with his turtle friends, would be their saving grace.

     "Our first plan of action," Ben announced, "is to draw in as many patrons as we can. We'll be raising awareness for animals by hosting a fun, family event for all to enjoy." Gingerly setting Duckie back into his tank with one last pet on his shell, Ben clapped his hands together. "So, we're planning to set up a race. Guests will be allowed to place bets on the turtle they believe to be the fastest with all proceeds going to the preservation of our zoo and the animals it holds."

     "There will be other activities to partake in as well," George added. "We'll have face painting, pictures and the like for the kiddos."

     "They could also have a race of their own," Daisy suggested, turning heads. "Kids like to run and the love trophies. The adults could have one as well with some prizes as incentives to join."

     "Perfect," Uncle George told her. "So it's settled. We'll get to work on setting it all up. If anyone has any suggestions, you know where to find me."

     There was a sense of excitement amongst them that had been lost over the last couple of days. They had been nervous, sad, and the animals seemed to have sensed it. But now, they were all relieved. Daisy hadn't expected for them to come up with a game plan so quickly. She hadn't shared her concern with anyone else, but she could tell everyone had been anxious too.

     Now, there was something to look forward to.

     Ben caught Daisy's eyes as everyone dispersed, heading back to their daily duties. No one noticed how they gravitated towards each other, no one except George. Just as he was about to converse with Ben, the man began to head straight for his niece. George's mouth promptly shut, and he smiled, deciding to leave them alone for the time being.

     . . .

     The four of them sat at the picnic table, embracing their short time off shift. As sweat slid down Daisy's temple, she began to wonder why they hadn't taken their lunch inside.

     "Just think," Alicia said with a laugh, "you'll have to run in this."

     Daisy's eyes bulged. Wiping the sauce from her lips, she spluttered past the sandwich bits in her mouth.

     "What?" She squawked. "The race was for our guests!"

     "It was your idea, Daisy," Ben said in amusement. "It would only be right for you to partake."

     "You move like a grandma," Rubio snickered. "I'd pay to see you run. It's for the good of the zoo, after all."

     Alicia's eyes shined as she laughed. "Yes, do it for the animals."

     The food in her belly churned at the thought of long distance running. "I'll go if you go," she said suddenly, feeling brave. The table fell silent and Daisly happily finished her sandwich.

     . . .

     The weeks passed and Daisy's life grew more hectic. She woke up earlier, despite not wanting to. Every day at 5:30 sharp, Ben would arrive at her door. Every day without delay, Ben would have a smile on his face. Daisy would drag herself out of bed, and get dressed. She would open the door, and Ben would be there.

     As always, he would say, "We'll get coffee after this."

     "Why not get coffee now?"