CHAPTER SIX

For the fifth time since she'd started cooking, Daisy scrubbed her hands in the sink. With her fingers slippery with soap, her phone lit up with a notification. The familiar ding resonated through the air and caught her mother's attention. Without stopping her attack on the onions, she sneakily looked over at Daisy's phone.

    "Ben?" she asked, brow raising. "He seems nice."

    "You got that much from a single text?" She hastily dried her hands with a nearby towel and snatched the phone away from her mother's curious eyes. "Don't be nosy," she scolded. Quickly, she turned her back before her her flushing cheeks were noticed. Don't be ridiculous, she thought to herself. No reason to blush, none at all. Ben is a friend. Friends are friends and moms see too much into things.

    Her mom especially pried too deeply. "So?" she asked, making Daisy cringe at the forced nonchalance. "Is he nice?"

    "I guess so." She was a bad liar. Not just a bad liar but a very bad liar and her mom knew that better than anyone.

    Two hours passed and, somehow, Daisy ended up spending every second describing Benedict. She wasn't sure how it happened only that, when finally given the opportunity, she couldn't seem to keep quiet any longer. While she was in the middle of explaining how brilliant his coffee brewing skills were, the doorbell rang out.

    After a low grumble and a quick dry of her hands, she rushed to the door where she was sure to find her Uncle on the other side. In a span of seconds, Daisy's mood flipped from cheery to horrified. Because when she opened the door, she was greeted with Ben's perfect face while she stood in very shabby clothes and very minimal makeup. Meanwhile, Uncle George looked quite pleased with himself as he waited outside beside Ben.

    "Aren't you going to invite us in?" he asked teasingly while Daisy continued to gawk. "I invited Ben along, hope you don't mind. I had him working late so I thought I'd make it up to him with a nice meal."

    Daisy regained her composure. "Uh, yeah," she said. "Come on in."

    Uncle George stepped inside of the house, followed by Ben. Ben had a dozen Daisies carefully in his hands. He extended them out for Daisy to take. She stared at them for a second.

    "Daisies for a Daisy," Ben said. Daisy couldn't help but blush. She reached out to take the flowers. Her mom appeared behind her shoulder and motioned Ben inside the house.

    "Ben, it's so nice to finally meet you," she offered Ben one of her best smiles. To Daisy, she offered a not-so subtle wink. Luckily, Ben didn't notice. Daisy wished she hadn't seen it; she could only pretend it didn't happen. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a vase from one of the upper cabinets.

    Once she returned, they were all seated in the living room. Uncle George was flipping through the channels while Ben sat next to him. On the armchair next to Ben, Daisy's mom was showing Ben some family pictures on her phone.

    "Wow, the family pictures already," Daisy mumbled to herself. She was about to sit across from her mom on another armchair when her mom stopped her.

    "Daisy get us some drinks. You know how mom likes to take her time getting ready."

     "And she loves to lecture me about being on time," Uncle George rolled her eyes. "Get me your strongest drink. The bottle I gave you for Christmas."

    "George, maybe it's best you keep your head," Ben told him with a smile. Uncle George said nothing. Daisy walked back into the kitchen and grabbed glasses. Ben followed her.