Chapter 1- A New Beginning

I'm Beatrice. Nothing special, plain old boring Abnegation Beatrice. I have a brother named Caleb. And I have a mom and a dad, obviously. I am 7 years old. And I go to school, obviously. 

        I stare at the floor, walking along quickly and quietly through the hallways, hoping none of those mean Erudite and Candor kids tease me again. I was wrong. "Hey stiff!" one of them, Peter, yells. I lower my head and walk a little faster, tears welling up in my eyes. "What, are you a chicken? Hey guys, look. The stupid stiff is about to cry." At this I run, to my hallway, where I go when they tease me. To get away. Nobody else knows where it is. But when I get there, there's a little boy, around my age, sitting there with his head between his knees, crying. Me, being Abnegation, I go and help him.

      "Hey, what's wrong?" I ask. he pulls his head out from his knees. "Well, today's my birthday," He replies. I don't understand what's wrong with this. "Then shouldn't you be happy?" I ask again. He just shakes his head. "No, I had a twin. But when I was in the hospital, there was a fire, and my mom tried to get to me and her, but she couldn't. She only got me." I stare at him, "That's horrible" I say, trying to comfort him. "What was her name?" He wipes the tears from his eyes and croaks out "Beatrice." I laugh a little, trying to lighten the mood. "That's my name, too." His eyes lighten up a little bit. "Cool! You can be like my sister then. We can be the bestest friends. I'm Uriah." He says. I laugh, "Okay. Well what class do you have next, Uriah?" "He thinks for a moment, then says, "math!" "So do I!" We walk off to math, and he wipes the last of the tears from his face.

PAGE BREAK

"Hi Mom!" I say when I get back home. "Beatrice!" she says "How was your day?" I think about what happened. Oh Yeah! "Well, I made a new friend." I say, not going into detail. "Really, how?"

"Well, these Erudite and Candor kids were teasing me so I went to my secret hallway, and I saw this little boy crying. I asked him why he was crying, and he said it was his birthday and his twin sister, named Beatrice like me, got taken away in a fire in the hospital. And I told him my name was Beatrice, and he said we can be the bestest of friends and I said I would be like his twin sister. Isn't that great?" 

At that, Mom starts to cry. "What?"I ask. "Should I not make friends?" "No," she said, not that. "It's just that, well, you see, you're adopted, Beatrice." I gape at her. She wasn't my real mommy? Why didn't she tell me? As if reading my mind, she adds, "I didn't want you to leave. So I never told you. You real family is Dauntless, but that's all I know." I don't know what to say. "Is Caleb your real child?" I ask. "Yes, he was ours. We can look for your parents if you want." I think for a moment. "Mom, I know we're Abnegation and all, but do you think we could find out my birthday?" She nods slowly. "Yes," she says, "Let's go." 

      We walk out the door to City Hall. When we get there the reception lady, an Abnegation, asks us what we need. "My birthday," I say. She looks at us strangely for a few seconds, then asks me to stand in front of a scanner so they could find me in the system. The lady smiles at me and says, "Today. Happy Birthday!" I scramble over to my mom with wide eyes, knowing I've found Uriah's lost twin sister. It's me.