Chapter 1- Another ball

Another ball? Draco thought he didn't hear right, but all the students were surprised. Was it going to be like the Yule Ball? He hardly believe. And he didn't want it to be. Maybe he was going to invite a girl he really liked, not Pansy Parkinson.

'Silence!' McGonagall demanded.

The Great Hall went silent and Draco started paying attention.

'This time, the ball will be more Muggle-like,' McGonagall announced. 'It will take place here, on the night of the new year. A mask will be required.'

Draco blinked and looked at his friends. Did he even hear right? A mask? It was, indeed, Muggle-like.

'Where am I supposed to take a mask from?' Pansy asked, rather angry. "The normal reaction of a pure-blood," thought Draco.

'Hogsmade. We go there next week.'

Blaise was right. They had passed by such a shop for years, but Draco didn't bother to look.

But right then, it was not the problem. The simple announcement of a new ball raised questions: Who would he go with? He could choose a Slytherin, but Draco felt he shouldn't. Like he wanted something different. Not a pure-blood, not a Slytherin. Someone... new.

'Who're you going with?' Blaise asked. Pansy looked at Draco, but he wasn't paying attention.

'Don't know.' he answered. 'Maybe I'll wait for the girl to ask me.'

'It's impolite. I thought we could go together.'

Draco managed a smile. 'I thought you were going with Blaise.'

'Isn't it to soon to choose a partner already?' he intervened. 'The ball is in winter.'