Chapter 6- By the lake

The next morning, everyone in the Great Hall was wearing a mask. Most of the students were smiling and Draco thought that they met someone new that night too. But one question kept annoying him: Where was she?

Well, clearly not in the Great Hall. During breakfast, nobody came to him. She didn't recognize him? She didn't spot him? Or maybe he didn't look carefully enough.

Two periods later, he was by the lake, just walking. Pansy and Blaise had left him after Potions. He wouldn't have listened to them anyway. He kept focusing on one thought: Where was she? Would he get to know her by the end of the day? Or maybe the week, the year...

"Stop," he told himself. He was too nervous. If he didn't meet her today, fine. He didn't need a girlfriend anyway. But if he did, better. He wanted to know whom he kissed.

Someone sighed. He looked in front and saw someone. A student, maybe the same year as him. He approached, hoping he wouldn't be noticed.

He saw the long, curly hair and his heart missed a beat. "It doesn't mean anything!" he told himself. A lot of girls had curly hair and twice as many long hair. Her robes had red hems, so she was a Gryffindor. When she looked up, at the lake, Draco recognized the black mask.

There she was. The girl of his dreams.

He recalled her blood-red dress and had no trouble imagining her dressed like that. But now, wearing her robes, she seemed somehow familiar to Draco. He was sure he'd seen her before. Maybe they had even talked. "She's a Gryffindor." If they had met, Draco had bullied her, he was sure.

She turned her head and looked at him.