Chapter 3

By the time the pilot announced that the plane was getting ready for the landing, Austin felt as though only minutes had passed. He and Jennifer had been exchanging stories of their travels the entire flight and every time he thought he had her beat, she'd give him another tale of her exploits. He'd been able to slip in a few generic legal terms to make it seem as if his trips were related to his fake job, but kept everything else vague so she wouldn't catch on.

As soon as the plane touched down, Jennifer started to collect her things, even though it would probably be at least ten minutes before they were able to get off the plane. She'd been calm and collected during the entire flight, but now she seemed edgy and...nervous.

It didn't look as if this were a happy occasion for her then. Apparently, she didn't approve of the man her mother was marrying. The one she referred to by his last name. Gregory Stranger. One of the few details he'd been able to wrangle out of Hart.

Austin didn't like going into situations blind. Hart had told him the bare minimum. He was breaking into a wedding and was going to have to bring some unnamed item back to Hart if he wanted the USB drive that was the true payday.

Once he got that drive to his benefactor, he'd get a five hundred thousand deposit and his unbroken winning streak of jobs would continue.

Honestly, the five hundred grand was a large payday, but it wasn't nearly big enough to turn him into Hart's obedient puppy dog. But the fact that Hart was a cop who could probably throw him behind bars in a heartbeat while simultaneously ruining his reputation was enough for Austin to grab the leash and start practicing his shake command.

In his line of work, reputation was everything and it was worth millions to him. Because he never lost and it was damn important that everyone even remotely connected to the black market knew that about him.

Once they were off the plane, Austin kept close to Jennifer. One, so he could enjoy the view of her ass as she confidently strode through the airport. But also because when trying to win people over, associations were a good thing. A lone man claiming to be a lawyer that no one had ever met was suspicious. Someone who seemed to be chummy with the daughter of the bride, however...that would get him through one extra level of trust.

"So, did Stranger arrange for a car to pick you up?" she asked as they approached baggage claim.

"Honestly, I was called in so fast that it was never established. I figure if I don't see anyone holding a sign with my name on it, I'll grab a cab." But he hoped like hell he wouldn't have to, because she was going to offer him a ride in five, four, three, two...

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure there will be room for you in the car."

Austin bit back the smile. And he was in.

Once they got to the baggage claim, her purple luggage with gold details was out quickly, easier to spot because of the bright stickers that signaled it was from first class. He didn't have any luggage he'd checked, so he just picked off the first nondescript black bag he saw that didn't have noticeable luggage tags. He could probably walk right by the poor guy he'd ripped off and they'd never know.

He didn't like ripping off people he didn't know, but airlines were good about reimbursing passengers for lost luggage. The good news was that he was ninety percent sure that the bag he grabbed belonged to a man.

Women were better about remembering the small details, like the fact that luggage was hard to identify. Jennifer wasn't kidding about her three fully packed bags, so he immediately reached out for one and helped her to the line outside the airport, where drivers waited with tablets that had the name of their charges.