Chapter 15

"I need to find Jennifer Murray now," demanded Austin as he paced back and forth in the small hotel room Hart had booked.

Hart unzipped his jacket and folded it before he set it onto the desk chair. Austin was too distracted to be fully annoyed that the guy folded his jacket, but made a mental note to make fun of Hart about it later.

"They're probably halfway to Japan right now," said Hart nonchalantly as he crossed his arms over his chest and faced Austin. "We'll worry about it tomorrow."

Austin stopped in his tracks and stared at Hart. "Worry about it tomorrow? What the hell is wrong with you? You drag me out here, blackmail me, make me risk my life to get this damn necklace and now that it could be going off the grid for decades, you're just fine and fucking dandy?"

Instead of answering, Hart reached into his bag and pulled something small and rectangular out before he tossed it over to Austin. "Here you go. Payment for services rendered. Now go back to your room and let me sleep."

Austin stared at the USB drive in his hand. The one that had almost gotten him killed by Hart. And now he was just handing it over. "You never wanted the necklace," he said as it clicked.

"It's not really my style," he deadpanned.

"This was about Sterling the whole time. You didn't want it; you just want to make sure Sterling doesn't get it."

Hart's expression didn't change, but he didn't deny it. "You did good, Miles. Go get some sleep. You deserve it."

"Those girls have no idea what they're up against. If Sterling finds them before we do, he's going to have the necklace right back."

"Don't be naive. I've heard of Isobel Murray before. Not by that name, but she's caught the attention of the cops before. She knew exactly who she was getting in bed with and what she was ripping off. At this point, we have to assume they have as good of an exit plan as they can have. If Sterling catches up with them, we'll deal with it then."

No! He wasn't going to let this once-in-a-lifetime score just disappear forever. "You're a cop! Call your buddies in blue or something and get help!"

Hart fished his wallet out of his back pocket and flipped it open, showing an empty space where a badge used to be. "Not anymore."

That was new. But Austin figured it made sense. Hart couldn't really be on the force and teaming up with guys like him. Knowing that didn't make Austin feel better, though. "You're not a cop? You've got no backup and you've decided to take on Jonathan Sterling all on your own? You should be grateful those women got that necklace before us because you don't stand a chance once you're on his radar."

"I know what I'm up against," he said simply.

"Oh, do you? Do you know what guys like Sterling do to people who steal from them? What do you think is going to happen if they catch Jennifer Murray? Even if they get the necklace back, he's going to want vengeance."

Hart tilted his head. "Are you more worried about your girlfriend or the necklace?"

"I—" Fuck, this night had not gone how he wanted. "Fine. You get your precious beauty rest and give me your computer. I'll sort this mess out on my own."

Hart handed over his laptop and power cord. Austin reached for it, but Hart held on. "I know exactly what Sterling is capable of, Miles. I probably know better than anyone. So the next time you want to accuse me of not knowing the stakes, shove it up your ass."

Hart let go of the computer and Austin decided to let him have the final word. If Hart really wasn't afraid of Sterling, that meant something very telling. It was hard to be afraid when you had nothing to lose.