Chapter 8

"Mom, we didn't come here for a job." Jennifer kept her face as stern as possible.

Isobel just rolled her eyes. "I've already done all the hard work! I have Gregory right where I want him and all the pieces are coming together."

Although Jennifer was mildly annoyed at the plot twist she'd seen coming from a mile away, Mel looked as if she'd just gotten slammed in the stomach with a baseball bat. "I can't. I mean—"

"Nonsense, Melody. I know exactly what you're capable of. If I thought you couldn't handle this, you wouldn't be here."

Jennifer crossed her arms over her chest. "If she doesn't want to be a part of this, she doesn't have to be a part of it."

"I haven't been playing the happy hippie for four months just so you two can come in here with your morals and ruin everything. I didn't raise you girls this way."

Melody stepped forward and held out her hands. "Hold on. Mom, why don't you tell us the details? Once we know everything, then we can refuse to help you."

Isobel frowned and pursed her lips. She'd probably gotten used to Stranger being at her beck and call. Her daughters not immediately agreeing was a change of pace.

"Start with the beginning," said Jennifer. "What is the payday?"

"A necklace. The Dragon Heart."

"Let's steal a priceless artifact that we can never sell. Great idea, Mom."

Isobel gave her a knowing smile. "I taught you everything you know. Don't doubt me now. I already have a buyer. Twenty million once we deliver the necklace intact. Split three ways, that will keep us comfortable for the rest of our lives. We might even be able to get your sister jeans that fit."

Melody narrowed her eyes but didn't say anything. Jennifer wasn't sure whether her mother was purposefully being mean or whether she was just trying to provoke some honest reaction out of Melody. Either way, Jennifer wasn't happy about how this was turning out.

"Okay. So there's a buyer. How are we getting this necklace? Stranger seems loaded, but not Dragon Heart loaded."

"No," agreed Isobel. "But his employer is. His employer who had so graciously agreed to lend Gregory the necklace so his lovely bride can have a wedding that will put all weddings to shame."

If they weren't stealing from Stranger... "Who owns the necklace?"

There was a slight hesitation before Isobel said, "Jonathan Sterling."

Now it was Jennifer's turn to feel as if she'd been hit with a baseball bat. "Jonathan Sterling? You want us to steal from the Killion Group! They have the word 'kill' in their name. What do you think they're going to do to us if they find out?"

"By the time they find out, we'll be long gone. Why do you think I need the two of you? This will never work as a one-woman operation. Besides, we're not going to steal the necklace. They're going to give it to us."

Jennifer had heard that before. And she was more than happy normally to work the cons but she appreciated lower stakes. Ten grand here and there. Her biggest payday on her own had been a cool half a million, which she had been rather impressed with. But twenty million was life-changing.

Even Melody had gotten a familiar glint in her eye at the mention of that kind of money. She'd been living on the straight and narrow for six years now and all it had brought her was pain and suffering. Jennifer could more than understand the temptation.

But she also understood something more. There was no final job. Not for people like Isobel. The con, the lies, the adrenaline: it was an addiction her mother would never be able to kick. "I can't let you put your life on the line like this, Mom."

"The only one putting my life on the line is you."

Jennifer stiffened. "Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?"

"I need you to be on your game for this. Not off fooling around with the first handsome man who looks your way."

"I have that under control. It's harmless flirting."

"We don't have time for a possessive penis to get in our way, Jennifer."

For the love of— "Mom, I don't have the hypnotic effect that you seem to have on Stranger. Please don't get the two of us confused. I don't meet a man and have them suddenly tripping over themselves to be with me."

Isobel smiled and took a step forward. "Then why is he watching us right now?"

Jennifer barely moved her head, but she was able to make out the figure in the corner of her eye. Damn it, Lawyer. Why did you have to make things complicated?