Chapter 1- Hard Knock Life

Chapter 1 - Hard Knock Life

"From the dope spot, with the smoke Glock

Fleein' the murder scene, you know me well

From nightmares of a lonely cell, my only hell" - Jay Z

Jody POV

"Now, Jody...I know this is your first time meeting Stephanie so I need you to be nice. Okay, son," My dad said to me. I rolled my eyes.

"I guess," I spoke.

"She has a 5 year old daughter so try to play with her," He said.

"She's 5! I'm 8...What we gon do play hide and go seek?" I asked. My dad sighed and got on his knees to meet eye level with me.

"Look I know this hard. I know you don't like meeting new people and I know this all new to you since mom left us but I'll never leave you, Jody," He said to me. It calmed down my nerves when he said that.

"Why did mom leave?" I asked. He sighed it's been 4 years I was always under my mom.

"She left us for someone else without even telling me it doesn't matter now." Then I heard the door knock.

"Is that her?" I asked. My dad nodded his head and opened the door and there was my new mom I guess. The first thing that struck my attention is that she was white and her daughter was light brown so I'm guessing she mixed. The little girl ran up to me and gave me hug. I was too shocked to hug her back.

"My name is Gwen. What's yours?" She said in her childlike voice. She continued to hug me so I hugged her back. I don't really know her like that to be hugging me.

"I'm Jody," I said.

"Pody!!!" She exclaimed.

"No Jody with a 'J'," I said.

"I like you pody!" She said. I sighed in frustration. I could already tell that I wasn't going to like her here.

"Hey Jody why don't show Gwen her room," Stephanie said. I looked at her up and down.

"Don't tell me what to do. You ain't my mama," I said to her.

"Jody, what did I tell you," My dad tell me. I scoffed and I grabbed her by her hand to show her to the room. My dad and I lived in a big house so she had her own room.

"It's bigger than my old house," She said.

"This house is pretty big," I said to her.

"No the room," She said. I look at her with a shocked look.

"Where you used to stay at?" I asked.

"In an apartment, It was just me and my mama," She began, "Have you always been rich?"

"Not rich just...stable," I said.

"Well we can be stable together, Pody!" I exclaimed. I got mad again.

"JODY!" I yelled and she laughed.

4 years later...

"Gwen, did you take my chips?" I asked her from my room looking for my chips in my room.

"What chips?" She asked.

"The hot fries! The ones I bought from Family Dollar," I said.

"The $2 bag!"

"Yeah!"

"I ate them." I ran into her room and threw her on the bed. I started to tickle her and she laughed uncontrollably. "What I tell you about eating my food?" I stopped tickling her when her face turned purple.