Chapter 6 - Shadows

Chapter 6 - Shadows

"Love me better, kiss me back, listen more..." ~ Childish Gambino

Chris POV

I was getting ready to go to Rose's ,my baby's mother, house. When I got a phone call from my mama. I sighed I'm tired of her always yelling at me about how I fucked up twice.

"Hey ma," I greeted.

"Are you going to pick up Brandon, today? If Rose call me one more time asking about you," She said.

"I'm going right now," I said while sighing. One day late on my son and she calling my damn mama.

"Christopher Donovan Fields...you the one that laid down with Rose twice to make those kids and you need to be there to raise them," She said to me.

"I am there for my son and I'm gon be there for my daughter. I had some business to take care of and I told her that. I'm here now I gotta go," I said to her.

"I wish your sister was here she the only person that could get through to you," She said then she hung up. I hate it when she brought up Nikki, my sister. We were close even if she was older than me. I wish would've protected her but my sister loved Matthew with all her heart and I couldn't do anything about it. We were all cool at first I liked him I thought he was gon do good by her. Then he started cheating and she wanted to leave him but he beat to death left her dead on our porch in front of my mama and step-dad. I was so damn angry I told my nigga David that I was gonna kill him and David went along with me. We jumped him but his niggas gotta hold of us and was gon kill us but Franklin came and now I'm selling drugs for him making hella money.

I got out the car as soon as I arrived at Rose's house. Rose lived with her parents, for now, she's moving soon. I knocked on the door and her mother opened the door. I was cool with her mom but her dad not so much. I avoid him as much as possible.

"Hey, Chris, Rose is in her room studying," She said to me. I looked around and saw her boxes.

"She really moving, huh?" I asked.

"Yeah but I'mma check on her 24/7," She said. I went back into her room that I knew all too well. She was in her room with her at her desk listening to Erykah Badu doing her homework. Rose was smart she graduated early now she goes to southwest trying to get her degree. I went up to her and tapped her on the shoulder she turned and my eyes went to her pregnant belly she was 8 months she's ready to give birth at any minute now. She glared up at me.

"Brandon is in his room taking a nap," She said then she turned back around to continue doing her homework.

"So...you're not going to say anything to me," I said to her.

"Like what, Chris?" She asked.

"I don't know like 'how was your day?' or sum' shit like that."

"Whatever. Go see your son."

"Rose...why we always gotta fight? I love you and I always will." She looked at me and sighed.

"Do you want to hear the name I came up with?" I nodded my head. "Brandy Nikki Fields."

"I love it." I rubbed her belly. "Hey Brandy...this is your daddy. I can't wait to meet you." Rose smiled at me. I kissed her belly. "I'm finna go get Brandon and I'm sorry I was late on getting him I promise I won't do it anymore."

"It's okay Chris I know you care it's just that I didn't think things would turn out like this for me. I just wish things were different and I tend to take it out on you."