Chapter 2 - Furthest Thing

"Everyone just wait now

So much on my plate now" - Drake

Gwen POV

I woke up all excited because I'm finally 15. It's my birthday and I couldn't be more excited. I left the room and Jody was still sleeping on the couch. I sat on him rocking back and forth.

"Get off my, Guh..." He muttered.

"Do you know what today is?" I asked him.

"Friday," He mumbled. I scoffed and began to bounce on his side. "Ok...it's your birthday."

"That what I thought," I said as I jumped off him. Jody got up and went into the kitchen and pulled out the best buy bag from the cabinet.

"This is your birthday gift...I didn't wrap it because I can't," He said. I opened the bag to see a rose gold iPhone SE. I gave him a tight hug.

"Thanks, you're the best-est big brother a girl could ask for," I said as I hugged. He smiled.

"That's for surviving with me. Now, how about we skip school today and go to IHOP for breakfast and just chill for the rest of the day."

"Really? Let me go get ready!" I ran back into my room and got ready for the day. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and put on some lotion. Now to deal with this mess of curly hair I decided to wash in the shower...again to get into its curly texture. I put on a white crop top, blue high waisted jeans, and pink converse shoes. I left my room to find Jody staring at the floor something was a little off about him.

"You ready?" He asked me.

"Yeah," I answered. We left the apartment and he locked the door. We walked to the nearest IHOP and since it was a school morning nobody was really there. We sat at a booth and I began to look at the menu. I watched Jody as he just stared at it on the table. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah...I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You know I can tell when something is wrong with you."

"I'm fine...Lil sis." I rolled my eyes. I'm going to drop it because something is wrong with him. I don't know why he feels the need to not tell me things to protect me it's actually putting me more at risk.

I was throwing them pancakes down I don't remember the last time I had actually cooked food for breakfast. I usually eat at school, which was terrible, or McDonald's. I don't complain things could be a lot worse. I appreciate all Jody has done for me the sacrifices he has made. Some nights I would eat and he wouldn't. He let me keep the bed while he sleeps on the couch. I'm grateful for him. He's taken care of me more than my own mama. That says a lot.

"Damn girl, that food ain't going anywhere," He said to me. I rolled my eyes.

"It might," I said. He laughed at me.

"Where you wanna go next?" He asked me.

"Don't know," I answered.

"Do you want to go get some clothes?" He asked.

"Do we have money to get me clothes?" I asked.

"Enough to get you an outfit or two," He answered. I shrugged.

"Sure...but I'm not letting you spend all you on me even if it's my birthday."

"Ok...let's go." Jody left a tip and we went on our way to a bus to Southland Mall. Now Memphis is a small city we had one mall in south Memphis. We have outlets but Southland was the only mall we had. That would be great if it wasn't so ghetto. It had not that many popular stores and people would steal all the time. The only place I liked was Rainbow because it had trendy clothes for less. I picked out two outfits. I glanced at Jody who was sitting down on a bench staring at the floor this time his face looked sad. I sighed the only way to get stuff out of him is to find out. He tried to hide the fact he sold drugs but I found that out when we were walking home from school one day and a drug fiend came up to him and asked him. I didn't judge him then just like I wouldn't do it now.

"Jody, I like these two," I said to him.

"Ok, get some shoes," he said.

"I said I was not going to spend all your money," I told him.

"It's fine. Gwen, it's your day." I gather two pairs of shoes and Jody bought them. We left the mall and we sat at the bus stop waiting for our bus to take us home.

"Jody...I just want you to know that whatever situation you got going on. I'll be there for you no matter what. Thanks so much for what you did for me today, every day, and even the days to come."

"Your welcome I just do it because I love you. I had a rough night last night and it pains me to go into detail." I nodded my head. The bus came and I went into the bus and we rode on our street. Jody and I walked to Baskin Robbins. We got three scoops of ice cream and then left to go back home. "What movie you want to watch?"

"Forrest Gump!" I exclaimed. He sighed.

"Always this fucking movie," He mumbled. I throw a couch pillow at him.

"You gon stop dissing my movie,"I told him.

"'Mama always say stupid is as stupid does' ugly ass," He mocked the movie quote. I laughed.

"Shut up and play the movie." He grabbed the DVD and put into the DVD player. We watched together while eating ice cream. My life has changed since I was young. I lost my step-dad and my mom. I don't know where my family is but I'm glad that have Jody to grow up with.

✦✦✦

It was Saturday and of course, Jody was still sleeping. I went to the refrigerator and grabbed my leftover ice cream to eat for breakfast. I sat on the floor and turned on the T.V. to watch the news. It was the usual someone found dead on the streets two nights ago. I changed not wanting to get sad early in the morning so I changed it to Spongebob.

Boom!

I jumped with fear when the door was kicked in by a man who had on all black with a ski mask. He had a gun in his hand. Jody got up shook. He stared at us for a while.

"I ain't got no money," Jody said to him while reaching for something under the couch. The man took off his safety off the gun ran up to me and grabbed me. I screamed as he held the gun to my temple. I began to cry.

"If you fucking move. I'll kill her," He said to Jody. I was sobbing.

"What you want? Don't do nothing to her take me instead," Jody pleaded. I never saw Jody give up his pride but that didn't change the fact I was scared and this gun was cold against my temple.

"Shut the fuck up!" He said to Jody. He pressed the gun harder to my temple. I closed my eyes hoping I could open them again when I heard a gunshot fire off. I open my eyes and felt my face. I looked at Jody who was looking behind me. I turned to see another man with a gun. He had dreads, body full of tattoos, and an overall mean demeanor.

"Who are you?" Jody asked him.

"Franklin," He answered. "Now get your shit...let's go."

"Thank you for saving us and all. But I ain't going no fucking where " Jody said. Franklin shot his gun at Jody aiming for his head but Jody docked. "Nigga! The fuck wrong with you."

"I ain't fucking ask you if you wanted to go or not. Y'all got 15 minutes to get your shit together and we left. Don't try any funny shit because next time that bullet won't fucking miss. I'll be in the yellow Hummer." He left and I immediately ran to Jody to hug him and I cried in his chest.

"It's ok...we're going to be okay." Just when I thought life was finally going perfectly for us.

"The furthest thing from perfect

Like everyone I know" - Drake