Chapter 28

A knock at the door brought me to throw my hand over his mouth and motion for him to shower. He was way ahead of me, as I scrambled around to dress myself in Sam's flannel and fix the room. When I opened the door, there was no trace of Dean's intimacy with me.

"Forget your key?" I asked Sam, and he said he must have lost it during the recent vampire nest battle. Nodding, I handed him a new beer. "I've just been throwing these back. Dean's being a complete asshole."

"Yeah." Sam scoffed weakly, staring down into my eyes. "It's been years since we lost you."

"Years?"

He nodded. Something in his manner felt like an apology. The decency of giving me his flannel earlier, his overall calm, the shyness in approaching the elephant—or in this case dragon—in the room. "Giloth?"

"Hm?" I snapped out of my daze, and tried not to think of our last meeting, but my stomach lurched.

"Are you okay?" Sam's kind eyes held the best of humanity. I silently thanked the angels for restoring Sam's soul. He was surely another person without it. Sam needed his soul.

"Yeh." I lied, took the beer I handed Sam, chugged it, and turned to get another round. "You've got a plan for the Mark of Cain, right?" I asked, handing him a fresh beer.

Sam looked at me like I had dropped a secret I was not supposed to know.

"It's kinda hard to hide something like that from supernatural creatures." I admitted.

He nodded and sat down where he placed his laptop.

Turning to sit down on one of the beds, a hand grabbed my wrist. The force of Sam's pull easily spun me around, and I stumbled into his lap. Sam held my waist with one hand, and with the other my face, as his lips pressed gently against mine.

My eyes widened at the unexpected sweetness and adoration from the younger brother. I was thrown for a head spin and just as quickly he pulled away from me.

"I just thought I'd do that before anything else happens."

My fingers pulled away from touching my gaping lips. I was struck dumb. I had not expected both the Winchesters to come at me so soon.

"Forgive me?"

We both knew he was referring to his soulless days. I nodded slowly. My forgiveness was going to kill me one day.

"You know what? I'm going to go grab some food. You want to come?"

We sat quietly at a nearby diner. He ate a salad and a fruit smoothie, while I ate the rarest steak I could order without being eyed curiously for wanting basically raw meat.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" My question broke the silence.

"What? Like you? I can't really help it."

"Sam." I stared at his green eyes. "You've seen what I've done. What I do. I'm a monster. Aren't you grossed out by me?"

He scoffed. "Yeah, I try not to think about your past. But I'm drawn to you."

"It's because Lucifer is drawn to me. I'm sorry to bring up your past, but I don't think this is a good idea. You only like me because of the residual feelings you received from when Lucifer made you his host."

"Giloth—

"Listen Sam. I get it. You're the brother that likes girls that need to be saved. But you really shouldn't like me. Your feelings for me are only Lucifer's feelings." I stood up and walked out of the diner.