Chapter 32

Moments later, I felt the cold press of a cloth against my forehead. I tried to sit up, but a strong hand pressed my shoulder back onto the bed.

"Take it easy, Gil."

"Sam," I winced and touched my split head. "Why—

He watched me as I realized I was no longer healing properly. I needed virgin blood.

"Dean's locked up, but the cure is going to be tricky."

"Purified blood."

Sam looked at his hands as he sat next to me on the bed. "Yeah."

"Can I go talk to him?" I asked quietly.

The man's face was unreadable as he stood up. "I wish you wouldn't, but I know I can't stop you."

"Sam," I sat up. The plea in my voice beckoned him back to me. My arms reached out to him for a hug. "I'm so sorry."

Sitting beside me, we wrapped our arms around each other. I gripped him tightly in what must have been the first real hug he had had in who knows how long. His hand brushed through my hair and I inhaled a controlled breath. Gently pulling from his embrace, I hesitated looking him in the eye. My eyes were downcast as I felt his forehead touch mine. His sharp nose brushed the end of mine and I let my eyes close. I could not lie to myself that I wanted to see what he would do, but it was wrong of me to lead him on like this.

"Sam." I whispered before his lips had a chance to press against mine.

"Gil."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"I know."

"Please, don't hurt yourself over me."

"Giloth," the green eyes were watching me and I watched them back, "it's too late."

My mouth opened in a small cry, but it became muffled by the press of his lips against mine. I kissed Sam back, slowly. This was what it must feel like to be human. I wanted this more than anything. It was better than any feeling I had ever experienced. The purity of just kissing him and nothing more. We just held each other and breathed as one while our lips caressed one another. I carefully held Sam like he was made of glass. We both knew I was holding back the monster I was as he continued to lead the moment. Soft kisses only strengthened in power when he chose. Caresses of our hands through each others hair only became presses and pulls when he decided it was right. I obeyed his movements. I followed him only when he lead me there. I caught my breath only when he caught his breath.

"Gil?"

"Yes, Sam?" I quietly waited for him.

"Is there anyway this is real?"

"I hope so."

"You're holding back."

"It's for your own good."

"Giloth, don't be fake with me."

"I'm not; I'm being human." I replied with a shrug.

"I like you because you are not human." Sam kissed me harder than before and I caught my breath.

"I'm not ready to be myself around you." My whisper caused his hands to halt in caressing my sides, and his lips pulled away from the skin of my neck.

He was silent as he searched my eyes for truth.

"I should check on Dean." Standing up, I moved for the door, paused, and turned to see Sam watching me with longing. "I'm sorry, Sam."