Prologue

It was raining. That was the first thing she noticed as she ran. She glanced behind her, past her flapping cloak, and saw the three hooded men weren't far behind. She looked down at the sleeping bundle in her arms, then up ahead at the cottage she was headed to. She finally made it to the stoop and carefully hid the slumbering child in the old dog house in the bushes, gently placing her letter and locket atop her. After whispering a concealment charm for all but the eyes of the man who lived there, she ran down the driveway then turned to apparate, but one of the men grabbed her arm. She cried out, awakening the resident of the cottage as she was dragged away.

She was pushed to her knees facing the doorway of the cottage, as a man in his early twenties rushed out in pajamas, brandishing a wand. He stumbled as he saw her crying, with a man holding a wand to her throat.

There was a loud crack as a new man appeared behind her. "Hello, daughter. You were such a good little girl when you were younger. Now you're just an ungrateful traitor!" He cackled as the man on the porch turned white and fell to his knees. He pointed his wand at the woman and grinned as he yelled a spell that emitted a brilliant green light. She collapsed, a look of broken hearted terror on her face. The men in black hoods vanished with a crack in a puff of what looked like black smoke.

The man on the porch ran out and held the woman, sobbing loudly over her corpse. Suddenly he heard a noise from behind him, and looked up, his tears stopping as he heard the familiar cries of his daughter. He whipped his head around and hope blossomed on his face as he got up and ran towards the noise. He found her in the old dog house, and picked her up, cradling her to his chest. He looked behind himself at the crowd gathered around his wife, and went into his house, setting the note and locket inside a small pouch. He placed the pouch in the bundle of swaddling clothes around the baby.

He stepped to his fire place and started it. Grabbing a pinch of powder from the mantle he tossed it into the fire. He stepped in, holding the girl close to him, and shouted a location. He arrived and stepped out, tears falling freely from his face as he rocked his daughter to sleep. He called out as he entered the living room. He hurriedly placed the child in the basket on the table as a stern-faced woman with black hair came down the stairs.

"Hello Professor. I'm leaving her with you. Aurora was killed. I must go, Lily and James.... I fear something will happen. If all goes well, I will return for her, but I don't trust Peter as secret keeper. Tell no one she exists outside of the Order. I hope to return. If I don't, please keep her and raise her as your own."

He turned to the sleeping child and kissed her forehead. "Goodbye Maia. My dear sweet daughter, I fear I shall never see you again. I hope I'm wrong. I love you."

And with that, he turned on his heel and vanished with a crack, leaving the woman with tears in her eyes. The baby slumbered on.

***

Hey guys,
So I've had this idea for a while, and have written and rewritten it multiple times, until I got to the point where I think it's as good as it'll get. I know, I know, I should be focusing on my other stories, but I'm not sure where to go next with those. Which is why I decided to work out my blocks with this book. And I actually finished this, so I think I did pretty well. Now I'm working on the Chamber of Secrets book, so we'll see how that goes.
Thanks for giving this a read, and I hope you like it!

Mac