Chapter 15

In the weeks that followed, Hermione helped me study for final exams, even though, as the boys put it, they were "ages away". As a result, I ended up spending more time in the library than in the chamber, both on my own, as well as with my friends.

One day, Hermione was insisting we all study, but I decided to visit Alexia instead. I took one of my books down with me, and just hung out, reading to my snake friend.

"Wait, read that one section again. I think it could be of use to you later, if you were interested." She got closer as I turned the page back and reread it.

"An Animagus (pl. Animagi) is a who can morph him or herself into an animal at will. It is a learned, rather than hereditary skill, unlike those of a . Information on Animagi is taught to Hogwarts students during their . An Animagus registration exists to keep track of those that have learned this skill."

"That is interesting. Let's find out more, shall we?" I continued to read about how to identify an unregistered Animagus, and then found the section that stated the process on how to become one.

"The process to become an Animagus is extremely difficult and can result in disaster (such as permanent half-human, half-animal mutations) if done incorrectly. A witch or wizard must keep a single mandrake leaf in their mouth for an entire month (from full moon to full moon). If the leaf is removed or swallowed, the witch or wizard will have to start over again. At the next visible full moon (if the night happens to be cloudy one will have to start over), the wizard must spit the leaf in a phial within range of the moon's pure rays. To the moon-struck phial, the wizard or witch must add one of their own hairs, a silver teaspoon of dew that has not seen sunlight or been touched by human feet for seven days, and the chrysalis of a . The mixture must be put in a quiet, dark place and be in any way disturbed. The next thing that must happen is for the wizard to wait for an electrical storm, whenever that might be. During this waiting period the wizard must, at sunrise and sundown without fail, chant the incantation with the tip of their wand placed over the heart. When, at last, there is a lightning storm, the wizard ought to move immediately to a large and secure place, recite the incantation one final time, and then drink the potion."

"That could come in handy later. Hmm, I'm actually surprised this isn't in the restricted section..." I looked at Alexia, then back at the book. Then, before I could change my mind, ripped the pages about how to become an Animagus from the book. Then I used magic to make it so no one could tell the pages had been there, let alone that they were missing, erasing all traces of Animagi information from the book. "There. I'll turn that in when I get back up there, and no one will be the wiser."

I stood and walked up to the statue of my ancestor, finding the secret cubby accessible only by magic, and opening it. I turned my wand on the stolen papers, and cast the Impervius Charm. After I was satisfied they'd be safe from the elements, I placed them in the cubby, then sealed it. "Okay, I should probably head back up to the library to study with my friends. Goodness knows the boys need all the help they can get! I'll see you later." Alexia nodded and began to slither away as I left.

******************************************************************************

When I made it up to the library, they were all getting ready to leave. "Oh. Where are you all going?"

"We're going to see Hagrid. We're going to ask him more about what's guarding the Stone, and try and figure out why he took dragon books from the library today." Hermione looked me up and down, and, noting my slightly sad face, asked, "Would you like to join us?"

I lit up, nodding excitedly like a little kid. So off we went, to unravel the mysteries of the year.

******************************************************************************

When we knocked on the door of the gamekeeper's hut, I was surprised to see that all the curtains were closed. Hagrid called "Who is it?" before letting us in, and then shut the door quickly behind them.

It was stifling hot, and even though it was a warm day, there was fire blazing. Hagrid offered us tea and sandwiches, but I only accepted the tea. "Yeh wanted to ask me somethin'?"

"Yes. We were wondering if you could tell us what's guarding the Stone other than Fluffy." Harry jumped straight to the point. I blanched at his forwardness.

"Not gonna beat around the bush, are you, Harry?" I fixed him with a slight glare, and he had enough sense to look properly chastised.

"I can't, o' course. Reason one, I don' know, and fer two, yeh already know too much, so I wouldn' if I could. That Stone's here fer good reason. I s'ppose yeh've worked out tha' it was almost stolen outta Gringotts? Beats me how yeh even know abou' Fluffy."

"Oh, come on, Hagrid. You might not want to tell us, but you do know. You know everything that goes on around here," said Hermione in a warm, flattering voice. Hagrid's beard twitched, and I knew he was smiling. I knew it was time for me to step in.

"We only wondered who had done the guarding, really. We wondered who Dumbledore had trusted enough to help him, apart from you." I smiled as I said this, and his chest swelled at our words. Harry and Ron beamed at the two of us.

"Well, I don' s'ppose it could hurt ter tell yeh tha'... le's see... he borrowed Fluffy from me... then some o' the teachers did enchantments. Professor Sprout, Professor Flitwick, Professor McGonagall," he ticked them off on his fingers, "Professor Quirrel, an' Dumbledore himself did somethin', o' course. Hang on, I've forgotten someone. Oh yeah, Professor Snape."

"Snape?!" Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged a look. I sighed.

"Guys, seriously, you aren't still convinced Snape's trying to steal it, are you? Hagrid just said he's protecting it."

The three gave me a look that plainly said, 'We'll talk later.' I sighed again.

"You're the only one who knows how to get past Fluffy, aren't you, Hagrid?" Harry sounded anxious as he asked this. "And you wouldn't tell anyone, would you? Not even one of the teachers?"

"Not a soul knows except me an' Dumbledore," Hagrid boasted, proud.

I nodded, satisfied. Ron fanned himself, "Can we open a window? It's boiling in here."

Hagrid looked sheepish, "Can't, sorry Ron." He glanced at the fire, and my eyes were drawn to it as well.

"Hagrid, what is that?" But we already knew what it was. In the very heart of the fire, under the tea kettle, was a huge, black, egg. Hagrid fiddled nervously with his beard. Before he had a chance to answer, however, Ron interjected.

"I know what that is. Where'd you get it though? Must've cost a fortune..."

Hagrid looked proud once more. "Won it las' night. I was down in the village havin' a few drinks an' got into a game o' cards with a stranger. Think he was quite glad ter get rid of it, ter be honest."

"But what about when it hatches? What are you going to do with it then? How are you going to hide it as it gets bigger?" I looked pointedly at him, hoping he would understand the flaws in his plan. Instead he just smiled idiotically.

"Well, I bin doin' some readin'," He pulled a large book from underneath his bed. "Got this outta the library- Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit- it's a bit outta date, o' course, but it's all in here. Keep the egg warm in the fire, to mimic their mothers breathe on 'em, see. An' when it hatches, feed it on a bucket o' brandy mixed with chicken blood e'ry half hour. An' see here- how ter recognize diff'rent eggs- what I got there's a Norwegian Ridgeback. They're rare, them." He looked pleased with himself, but none of us did. He hadn't come with an answer for half the questions I had brought up, and then Hermione brought up another one.

"Hagrid, you live in a wooden house." Hermione looked at him like he was crazy. But hewasn't listening. Instead, he hummed merrily and stoked the fire.