Chapter 14

The days after passed quickly, and soon classes started back up. I was unable to spend as much time in the chamber, due to the need to study for exams that were nearing ever closer day by day. I spent more time in the library with Hermione, but the boys couldn't be bothered most times. And when they could, they would only research a man named Nicolas Flamel. The second I heard this I cocked my head. "You mean the alchemist?"

Hermione stopped abruptly, turning slowly to look at me. "What did you just say?"

I shrugged. "Nicolas Flamel is a known alchemist. In the muggle world, at least. But it's all fiction, fantasy. It's not real, is it?"

Hermione shook her head, an incredulous look on her face as she rose from her seat and rushed out of the library. We didn't see her until dinner that night, but we got the explanation afterwards, in the library once more. She slammed a very large book on the table we were gathered around. "I didn't think to look in here until you mentioned alchemy." She turned to a random page, reading a passage aloud.

"The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosophers Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.

There have been many reports of the Philosophers Stone over the centuries, but the only Sone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight)."

Silence followed, then they began to talk about things I wasn't in the loop for. I couldn't help but feel hurt that they hadn't shared their secrets with me, but I was beginning to see I didn't belong. In Slytherin, or even here, with my friends. I'd always be an outsider, no matter where I turned.

I stood, gathering my things. "I'm going to go back to my dorms and try and get some sleep. You guys should too, it's getting late. Wouldn't want you getting in trouble." I forced a laugh as they glanced at the time, then made my escape.

That night, I stayed up in my room, reading the books I had checked out from the library. I read through them, stopping to notate things I thought might be of use, but not then. Then, eventually, I succumbed to slumber.

******************************************************************************

I slept fitfully, glimpses of things I can't remember making me toss and turn. Finally, it was morning, and I had to get up for class. The good part of my day wasn't until that evening, when there was to be a Quidditch match. Professor Snape was refereeing, which made Hermione, Ron, and Harry all nervous. I wasn't as worried.

When I sat with Ron and Hermione, I heard them muttering about the Leg-Locker curse, but before I could say anything Draco showed up. He sat close behind Ron, and I knew he wasn't up to any good. I fixed him with my stare, hoping he got the message to behave himself. He didn't

"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?" he spoke loud enough for us to hear as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty. "It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money- you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains."

I turned to say something, but Neville beat me to it. He went bright red and turned in his seat. I couldn't imagine this going well. "I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy," he stammered.

Draco and his cronies howled with laughter, but Ron, not daring to take his eyes off the game, said, "You tell him, Neville."

"Longbottom, if brains were gold you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something."

At this, I turned. In a quiet voice, I warned him. "Draco, stop now before you go too far. These are my friends. Play nice."

He just smirked, shaking his head before leaning close to my ear. "I don't play nice with mudbloods and blood traitors."

"Ron!" Hermione shouted suddenly, half standing from her seat. "Harry-!"

Harry had suddenly gone into a spectacular dive, which drew gasps and cheers from the crowd. Hermione stood up, her crossed fingers in her mouth, as Harry streaked toward the ground like a bullet. "You're in luck, Weasley. Potter's obviously spotted some money on the ground!" Draco cackled at his own wit, but I just turned and glared at him. He paled slightly from the force of my glare. And then Ron was on top of him, wrestling him to the ground.

"Hey! Both of you stop it! Enough! If you don't stop I will go get McGonagall!" I yelled at them, not wanting to get too close for fear of getting hit or something. Neither of them heeded my warning, and Neville jumped over the backs of the seats to join in.

Then Hermione said something, "The game's over! Harry's won! Gryffindor is in the lead!" She turned to look at us. "Maia, we won! Wait, where's Ron?"

******************************************************************************

We waited for Harry by the doors to the castle. When he finally showed, we had been there a while. "Harry, where have you been?" Hermione squeaked, astounded that he had taken so long.

"We won! You won! We won!" Ron was practically jumping as he thumped Harry on the back, shouting. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye, and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single handed! He's still out cold, but Madame Pomfrey says he'll be alright. Talk about showing Slytherin! Everyone's waiting for you in the common room, we're having a party-" He stopped, looking at me. I stood there awkwardly, silent.

"Never mind that now," Harry was breathless. Let's find an empty room, wait till you hear this."

We went inside and he told us what he'd seen andheard, before they all realized I was out of the loop. Hermione took the timeto inform me on what had been happening, but I didn't believe that it was Snapethat was after the Stone. I kept quiet while they discussed, then made my wayback to my own common room to sulk while my friends partied.