Chapter 13

The days after Christmas, Harry and Ron argued at the table. I overheard them talking about a mirror of some kind, and then Harry stormed off. I stood and rushed to follow, wanting to make sure my friend was okay.

"Harry, wait up!" He slowed, turning to look at me as I scurried towards him. "How was your Christmas? We didn't get to talk much."

His eyes alit upon the bracelet I wore, nose crinkling. "Not bad. Is that new?"

I blushed, pulling my sleeve down. "It was a Christmas gift. Where are you headed?"

"I'm going to go see my parents. And, before you say anything, yes I know they're dead."

I frowned, confused. "Wait, what?"

"I found a mirror, Christmas night. I can see my family. Ron saw himself as Head Boy, captain of the Quidditch team. I wonder what you'll see."

We made it to a portrait of an opera singer titled The Fat Lady. Harry turned to me and hesitated. The lady in the painting took one look at me and huffed. "She needs to leave this area. She is not allowed access. To enter, she mustn't be nearby."

I knew that we were at the Gryffindor common room. "It's okay, Harry. I'll wait down the hall, by the stairs." He laughed and nodded, and I walked away.

I heard him mutter something, but I was too far out to be able to discern what, exactly, it was. I sat at the top of the stairs, knowing they wouldn't move for another hour. Soon, silence gave way to footsteps that approached me from behind. I turned, only to see no one was there.

"Come here. I have an invisibility cloak." Harry's voice whispered from mid-air, and I stood, apprehensive. He opened the cloak enough for me to see him, and I raised my eyebrows.

"Am I supposed to get under there with you?" I crossed my arms, waiting on his response.

He shrugged, eyebrows drawing together. "Well, yeah." I sighed and rolled my eyes, slithering under the glorified blanket. Then we were on our way.

******************************************************************************

When we finally took the cloak off, we were in what looked to be an unused classroom. Propped against the wall was a magnificent mirror, as high as the ceiling, with an ornate gold frame, standing on clawed feet. There was an inscription carved around the top: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on woshi.

I stepped up to it shedding the cloak like a second skin. I gasped at what I saw. There was a man and a woman standing side by side in the background, and I had a snake wrapped around my body. There was a grave in the background, but I couldn't quite make out my name. The man had long, shaggy hair, and was growing out facial hair. The woman was standing next to him, her head held high. I figured out who they were almost immediately. My parents. He looked warm, happy, inviting. She wasn't how I imagined her. Her eyes were hard and cold. Her smile didn't reach her eyes, and her long silver hair was straight as an arrow.

My father stepped forward to stand next to me, but she didn't. Instead, my aunt stood next to my father and I, looking like everything Aurora wasn't. The truth wormed its way into my brain. I stepped back and looked up at the inscription once more. "I show not your face, but your heart's desire." I read aloud, tilting my head.

"I see you have discovered the Mirror of Erised, and its purpose." The headmaster stood in the doorway, eyes twinkling. "This mirror gives is neither knowledge, nor truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real, or even possible." After saying this, he looked at Harry, a knowing look in his eyes. "The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now why don't you go back up to bed?"

I nodded, and Harry and I both went to leave, but Albus grabbed my arm. "I wish to speak with Maia for a moment. Head off to bed, Harry." Once he was gone, Dumbledore turned to me, suddenly looking stern. "You've been out of bed most of the past month. Where have you been going?"

I paled, sure that he wasn't supposed to know about the chamber. "I'm positive you're mistaken, sir."

His frown gave way to a smile, and I knew I hadchosen the right response, although how he knew was beyond me. "Head down tobed Maia. I'll see you later."