Chapter 1: Partners

"Pound it!" Ladybug and Cat Noir both said at the same time. Ladybug then immediately turned her attention to the akuma victim, offering him an explanation of what had just happened and advice to head home. Cat watched with lovesick eyes. She was so awesome.

Beep, beep. Cat's thoughts were cut off by the beeping sound coming from Ladybug's miraculous. She turned to him.

"Well, guess I better get out of here," She said to Cat, "See next time Kitty," She turned, ready wrap her yo-yo around the nearest thing and fly away.

"Wait," He said and grabbed her shoulder. She turned to face him, confusion in her bluebell eyes.

"What it is Cat?" She asked.

"Um... well I know you don't think it's a good idea for us to know each other's identities... but-" She cut him off before he could finish.

"I know you want to know who I am Cat Noir, but you can't. It could put you or other people in danger." Besides, she thought. I think you'd be disappointed by what's under the mask anyway. "Sorry."

"But you have to see the advantages too," He said not letting the subject go. "If we know who each other is we can transform together and just be stronger partners." He looked at her with hope in his green eyes and it killed her to have to shut him down. "Purr-etty, Paw-lease?" he said throwing some puns in there for good measure.

"Cat... I just don't think we should, ok? It's better to be safe than sorry. Besides curiosity killed the cat." And with that she launched away using her yo-yo.

"But satisfaction brought it back," Cat muttered to himself and then launched himself over a building on the way, to his lonely home.

Marinette landed on her balcony, opened the hatch door that led to her room and lowered herself inside.

"Spots off," She said and then collapsed on her bed with exhaustion. Tikki came out of her earrings and hovered above her, a thoughtful look on her face.

"You really didn't even consider telling Cat Noir who you are?" She asked. Surprised, Marinette gave Tikki a quizzical look.

"Of course not, Cat Noir can't know my identity, it's too risky." she said, a little annoyed that Tikki was on Cat's side. Wasn't she supposed to glad that Marinette hadn't shown Cat her identity?

"Well, he did have a point on the advantages. It would be great if you to were able to transform together. And it's great to have your partner's trust."

"I do trust Cat Noir." Mari said defiantly.

"I know but you would have to trust him even more if you were to tell him your secret identity. And also, are you sure you're opposed to showing him your identity because of the risks or because you're afraid of what he'll think of you?"

"What! Of course I'm worried because of the risks." Tikki didn't look convinced. "Ok, fine maybe I am scared of what he'll think of the real me. But can you blame me? Behind the mask I'm just regular, clumsy me."

"Marinette, I'm sure Cat Noir would like you just the way you are, as Marinette. You're amazing with or without the mask." Tikki said encouragingly.

"Thanks Tikki," Mari said.

"Now, you still have school tomorrow so I would recommend getting some sleep.

---------------------------------------

Adrien stood alone in his room looking out at the night sky, thinking.

"I'm bored," Plagg said beside him. "How long are you just going to stand there? I want cheese!"