Chapter 3: Suspicious

Marinette's miraculous beeped for the final time and she barely had time to duck into an empty alleyway before her powers wore off and she was left standing there as Marinette.

"Did I do the right thing Tikki?" she asked clutching the sticky note she held in her hand. It had Cat's number on it. She was surprised to see that his handwriting was actually very pretty and neat. She had expected it to be a little sloppy and silly. She smiled thinking she found out a little secret about her best friend and partner.

"I think you did, Marinette. You should be able to contact Cat Noir in case of emergencies and it would be nice to be able to contact him. He knows how hard a double life can be too."

"Yeah I guess you're right." She said making her way out of the alley and walking back towards the school. "I suppose school is canceled because of the Akuma attack?" She asked herself when no one was there. Then turning around to head back to her house. She took her phone out of her bag to see if Alya wanted to come over or something when she realized she had a text from someone else. She gasped when she saw that it was from her crush. Adrien was talking to her! Wait how did he get her number? She had his... because Alya gave it to her to call him, which did not go well at all. She doubted he even knew she had his number. But how did he get her's? Pushing aside her questions she opened her text messages and read the text. All it said was: hey.

Marinette: Um... Hi, Adrien.

The reply was almost immediate.

Adrien: Uh, yeah, it's me... Adrien.

This only confused her. Why did he seem so unsure? She didn't know what to say to that so she decided just to let it go and asked the question she'd been wondering.

Marinette: How did you get my phone number?

Adrien: Um... I don't know?

This only confused her even more, how could he not know how he got her number? She was contemplating what to say to that when he texted her again.

Adrien:... Marinette?...

Marinette: Yes, Adrien?

There was another pause and Marinette was starting to worry. Was something wrong with Adrien? Why was he asking weird questions?

Marinette: Are you ok? You're acting kind of strange

Adrien: Uh... yeah I'm fine. Sorry to worry you, I just was wondering what time we could work on our project?

Marinette breathed a sigh of relief. He was only asking about the project, nothing was wrong. Then her stomach tightened at the thought of working on the project with him. Just her and him... alone. Her palms started to sweat with nervousness.

Marinette: I'm free whenever. Just not any later than 9. I have something going on then.

She didn't really think he'd want to work that late, but just in case she had to tell him that she couldn't because of patrol.

Adrien: Ok. What do you have at 9?

Her stomach tightened even more. Oh no, now he was asking about it. And she could very well not say that she had to go patrol the city because she was secretly one of Paris's greatest super heroes. She did not like the idea of lying to Adrien either but...

Adrien: It's ok if you don't want to tell me. I was just wondering...

Marinette let out the breath she didn't realise she'd be holding.

Marinette: Thanks. I can work on the project after school this Thursday. Does that sound ok?

Adrien: Yeah, it sounds fine. Unless my dad springs a surprise photoshoot on me.