The Fateful Encounter

Alex POV

I really shouldn't be in the woods at this hour. It was a few hours before first light and I should wait until morning, there wouldn't be much food out here for the vacation home. I'm 18 and should know this.

I was simply walking when my foot got caught in a trap, I didn't yell out as it clamped around my foot. I sighed irritated.

I looked up to see a redish brown wolf in a fighting stance, but instead of at me it was towards me but instead someone in a cloak. I couldn't make out who it was.

The figure laughed at said in a sweet almost musical voice "hi I'm Serena nice to meet you". What a beautiful name but why in the world was she talking to a wolf. The beast growled in response. "Um... I'm just gonna go now" she said moving to leave.

The wolf lunged, I tried to get myself out of trap to help but I was stuck. She jumped out of the way and started down the wolf. I couldn't make out her features but I saw her reach in her bag and pull out... ham?

She tossed it to the wolf who ate it, then she got closer. This women was mad, the wolves in these forest were especially dangerous. She got more ham and fed the wolf by hand.

I couldn't tell what happened after that but the wolf was soon on top of her but instead of screams I heard giggles. Giggles! She said something about naming the wolf Archer.

I finally got out of the dammed trap, as I walked up her hood fell down, showing silky raven locks and bright blue eyes that seemed to light up. Her skin had a sunny glow to it as well, she was the most beautiful girl I had ever had the pleasure of laying my eyes on.

She asked the wolf "you wouldn't happen to know where the closest Inn is do you?"

I not sure what compelled me to say this but I did "the wolf probably doesn't but I do". She jumped and turned around bright blue eyes meeting my brown ones.

"Who are you?" She asked making sure she was in a fighting stance. I don't know how she knew the stance but she did.

"Names Alexander Valic, I go by Alex" I said. She looked me up and down eyes resting on my face and eyes.
"My I ask what a young girl like yourself is doing this deep in the woods in this un holy hour?"

"You may ask but I'm afraid I can't answer you" she said getting out of the stance. I smiled. "I'm Serena, and this" she gestured to the wolf "is Archer". "Yeah my foot was stuck in a trap but I saw how you tamed it, which shouldn't be possible many have tried all failed, no matter how much ham they gave" I informed her.

"Perhaps they didn't have a connection, perhaps they intended to inslave it and the wolves sensed that" she told me.

"Perhaps" I indulged. "So that Inn?" She asked looking uncontrollable. "Oh yeah it's a bit far though, my vacation home is closer you can stay there for a few nights if you like" I offered.

She looked very uncomfortable. "And Archer can stay too it empty" I told her. "Vacation home tells me your noble, and I've got quiet the journey ahead of me I'd rather not if you tell me where the Inn is I can go there" she said.

"Journey huh, where you headed?"

"I'm not sure" she said more to herself.

"You don't even know where your going please just stay with me at the vacation home I insist".
She looked me up and down then looked at Archer who had stop growling.
"Fine but only one night, thank you Alex I appreciate it" she smiled. That smile made my heart stop. I smiled back "anything to help a damsel in distress".

Her jaw dropped "I am no damsel in distress I can take care of myself."
"I do not question that" I promised.
She looked gulity "I'm sorry your being nice and I'm rude please forgive me, lack of sleep" she smiled.

"Your good" I laughed "we better go".
"Of course" she said.
"Archer do you wish to come or do you have somewhere else you have to be" she asked the wolf. Yes the wolf.

In response the wolf nudged me foward with his head. She smiled.
As we walked I asked again "so why are you in the woods at night?"

She looked me up and down sighed and said "I ran away from home, or my kingdom is more accurate."

I looked at her a little shocked "for what reason did you run?" I asked.
"Because someone powerful was trying to make me do something I didn't want to do" was all she said.

She obviously didn't want to talk about it, and I didn't have a right to talk. After all I too sort of ran away, with full intent on going back I'm just going on vacation. But then again my family knew where I was.

"So Serena, do you usually talk to wolves or id this a first time thing?" I laughed.

"It's a first time thing I can assure you" she laughed.

This should be a fun journey